Will count advance or go backwards?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Ronald Arjune, May 27, 2016.

1. Ronald Arjune

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Will this schematic diagram of my 24 hour clock work and work both foward and reverse? With my nand gates connected, Will stage 4 go from 2 to 0 or 0 to 2 or stage 3 go from 3 to 0 or 0 to 3 or stage 2 go from 5 to 0 or 0 to 5? Data sheet of cd 40110 say borrow sends a pulse when count goes from 0 to 9 and carry sends a pulse when count goes from 9 to 0. Does 9 have to be the count transitioning to or from 0 to activate carry and borrow? I am hoping to or away from zero (0) does it.

2. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Make it easier for us to help you by posting the whole counting circuit on one page. You can omit connectivity to the displays as it isn't relevant.

Please also post your pictures in some picture format and reduce the resolution so the file sizes are a few hundred KB.

3. Ronald Arjune

Apr 28, 2016
    I think Dennis wants to do something wrong, like changing the design with the file as a picture to find fault with my circuit and this is not possible with the file as a PDF. I uploaded the 4 stages of my clock determination. You can see the previous files for the connection to the LED displays. I would also like to add two more stages before stage one for seconds. Correction: stage one of the previous upload is not 1 Hertz but 1 pulse every minute for the clock input since it is counting minutes. Please let me know if this upload of the 4 stages on one page will work and I am hoping that Dennis' suggestion of one page is easier to understand.

Please understand that I am a schizophrenic and my comment above is because I have to use paranoia to unravel an extremely complex problem that God and the Devil has created and there is evil that has to be expressed for a solution to my illness. One aspect of the problem is the disassociation of mind and its matter to create delusion so there would be no evidence of impropriety.

4. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    It's much easier to follow. Thank you.

For Stage 2, you're decoding a+b which will cause that counter to always be reset. You should be decoding 6 and the reset needs to also provide a clock to the next stage. Counting down makes the problem more complicated. Do you really need down counting?

5. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    I have to amend what I said earlier.
     \small \overline{ab} = \overline{a}+\overline{b}<br />
    but Stage 2 will still always display zero when counting up because it will reset at 1.

I read the earlier thread you started on this topic and agree. For down counting, it will be easier if you use counters that can be preset.

6. Ronald Arjune

Apr 28, 2016
    http://www.edutek.ltd.uk/Tutorial_Pages/BCD_Counter_4510.html

I found the website above. If I preset the 4 counters for a 24 hour clock, will it work forward and backwards. For instance when the time is 00:00 will it go backwards to 23:59 and back further to 23:58 etc. with the clock pulses and no reset used?

For hours, the first counter will be set to count to 2 and then count to 0. The second counter will be set to count to 3 and then to 0. For minutes, the third counter will be set to count to 5 and then count 0. The fourth counter will be set to count to 9 and then count to 0--am I right? Can I use either the synchronous or ripple counters shown for the clock?

Paranoid note: It doesn't seem that I am able to think. I believe the spirit or my soul has to think together with me so I can learn easily. You can have an idea of who I am with my website http://www.ronaldarjune.com.

7. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    When counting up, it will be easier to use reset and use preset when counting down. Counting down will take a bit of logic. Are you certain you need that capability?

8. Ronald Arjune

Apr 28, 2016
    I need to count down because I need to control the evil with the spirit. I feel the truth and normal functionality is deceiving the world using the material of man. Counting in Reverse may create a cancellation of their capabilities and restore my mental health. I think the enemy maybe in the breath of space with the passing of time. I have to detect them in the real world so they can be charged of a crime. Computers are using logic to process schizophrenia with known and unknown associations to make sense.

9. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Design your circuit and breadboard/simulate it. Come back if you have questions/problems.

10. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    For fun, I simulated the 3 MSD of a 24 hour up/down counter in MultisimBlue using 74LS190 decade up/down counters (because that's the only counter my version has).

The control logic, or a variation, should apply to your CD4510 version if you use load instead of reset for up counting.
    upload_2016-5-31_7-4-4.png

11. Ronald Arjune

Apr 28, 2016
    Ron: Much too complicated for my five year old mind. The gates and their associated connections are frightening. The CD 4510 should be able to carry out the clock count all on its own. Paranoia: I think the reference data on it (CD 4510) has been altered.

12. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    CD4510 are decade up/down counters. All decade counters will require additional logic to implement a 24 hour clock.

If you use 74LS190 counters, I've worked out all of the logic for you. The S1 and M1 counters are wired similar to the H1 counter. S10 is wired like M10. Hours are the most complicated and that's given in the schematic.

13. Ronald Arjune

Apr 28, 2016

14. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015