Will capacitor or diode be affected by industry dust?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Kiran Kulkarni, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Kiran Kulkarni

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Hi all,

I want to know if the dust in an industry affects the components like Capacitor. diode( passive devices) in the machineries installed over there.

Especially when they are working on high voltages like 1kV or so..

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    High voltages attract dust, and it can precipitate that dust so as to short out thingsl like diodes.

3. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Dust build up can also cause thermal problems. Like when a laptop fan/vents get clogged.

4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes, industy dust will wreck shop on electronics. You should tour my company's industrial drives repair shop and see what comes in there; exploded drives full of cookie batter, metallic dust, sawdust, dryer lint, rust dust, etc. The list is never ending. This is why industrial electronics are housed in airtight enclosures; you know, the kind that nobody ever closes properly.

gerty, #12 and Metalmann like this.
  5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If bringing in outside air it is wiser to use positive pressure cooling, IOW have the enclosure fans bring air into the enclosure rather then expelling air, and place a suitable filter on the fan intake.
    Max.

6. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012

..nobody ever closes properly.;):D

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    The dust doesn't affect the components themselves, since they are sealed, but it affects the connections between the devices by possibly providing a conductive path between them, particularly if the dust absorbs moisture from the air.

8. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Dust can certainly upset air-spaced tuning capacitors - but that probably isn't what the OP had in mind.

Some plastic dielectric trimmers are less than well enclosed, but they don't turn up nowadays as often as they used to.

9. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

There are also industries that use a lot of acids.
    These acids may corrode the electronics parts if they are not well protected.

Also dust coming from motors will influence the electronics.

Bertus

10. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    We have one customer who does large-scale galvanizing. They are one of these types that won't be bothered to close panels. Well, even if they did, it wouldn't make much difference since the panels themselves are eaten through with holes. We replace their drives every 12-18 months, after they have become so eaten by caustic chemicals that they fail. Apparently this regular replacement strategy is more cost effective than upgrading to the pressurized panel that we quoted them. The pics here are of the last time I went out to replace their drive; the old F7 model is discontinued, and had to be replaced with a new A1000.

Check out these giant baths of acid and molten metal, 10ft away from the panel. These are maybe 20-30ft deep, 100ft long, and 20ft wide. Perfect place to dispose of a body.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Machine shop. Excellent quality oil being sprayed into the air by grinding wheels and other metal cutters. Worst thing to try to clean out of an air conditioner, ever!

On the other hand, it will never corrode.:D

12. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Have they got any cold molten zinc tanks?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Oh, geeze!:eek: Try not to breath while you're there!

14. ramancini8

Jul 18, 2012
    I repair 50's car radios, and they are often filled with dust and cigarette ashes/smoke film, and the dust and ash never is the cause of the problem. Age and heat causes the faults. I do clean the interior where the components are, but that is because I don't like to work in dirt and it is hard to solder a dirty connection.