Will an LED dim with a variable resistor?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by carwhisperer, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carwhisperer

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I want to put an LED in an automotive circuit to "read" the position of a potentiometer that is internal to a 12v motor. The motor, which opens a valve in the climate control heater, has an internal 4.7 kOhm potentiometer which delivers a signal to the climate control ecu. I will no longer be sending that signal to the ecu but rather would like to use it to dim an led or other bulb. I would like it to run on 12v nominal, I would prefer not to have to reduce it to 5v. If I just hook the power supply up to 12v and run the ground through the motor's potentiometer will the led/bulb dim as resistance is increased? A relatively gradual dimming from open to close would be nice but even if it is much more abrupt that will still accomplish what I want.
  2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The owners of All About Circuits have elected not to allow discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Here is a site that may provide you with some assistance: Electro Tech Online

Good luck
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.