Will a inductor damage my signal Gen?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Little Ghostman, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Little Ghostman

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi
    I feel a bit silly asking this.
    I have a signal generator that puts out a min of 3V PP, I want to connect a smd inductor directly to the output of the sig gen, then I want to put a sign wave and then a square wave through it and measure with a scope, will the inductive spike (if any) harm the signal generator?
    The inductors are around 100uH to 400uH.
    What I am looking at is seeing how the waveform changes when metal and electric fields are passed over the top of the inductor

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

It depends on the specification of the signal generator.
    A RF generator has most times an output impedance of 50 Ohms.
    Also the minimum load should be given in the manual of the generator.

Bertus

3. Little Ghostman

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2014
    This is a old sig gen, I got it cheap for doing dodgy experiments so I wouldnt destroy dads expensive one! I cant get any info on it, except it does have 50Ohm termination, although in some ways its expendable, it has become a bit of a old friend:rolleyes: and I would hate to destroy it now.
    Oh well nothing ventured........
    Keep an eye out for my how do I fix my signal generator thread :D

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

You can always put a 50 Ohms resistor in series with the generator output for safety.

Bertus

5. Little Ghostman

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2014

Thank you!! I totally missed that one! Your either a genius or I am a idiot!
    No need too discuss which it is :D

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The same solution works with op-amps that don't like capacitive loads. Just stick a resistor in series to protect the op-amp.

Of course, the fact that you already knew this is probably why you're kicking yourself. :D

7. Little Ghostman

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I was focusing too much on the wrong thing!! I Didnt know about the Op Amps so thats a handy tip!