WiFi controlled water heater

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by qrac, Jan 8, 2010.

1. qrac

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 7, 2010

In my current apartment I have an electric water heater with a 75l tank. To take a hot shower it takes around 1,5h to heat up the water to the right temperature (I love taking hot shower :)). To have hot water instantly e.g. when I am coming back home I need to leave the boiler on but then my electricity bills are sky rocketing or switch it on when I am back and wait. None of these options is good, that’s why I was thinking to solve the problem buy fixing up some remote control device for the heater.
    I want to connect the plug/socket to the internet and be able to control it through my webserver. I have found similar project that is using the ethernet: http://tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200606/article06061.shtml
    but I want to do it with WiFi instead, so I don’t have to put the ethernet cable all around my rented apartment.

I would like to ask if there are any ready WiFi bords that I can utilize in my project, preferably in reasonable price and with implemented TCP/IP stack so I would just need to program μC to make it running. I have found a lot of transceivers but no boards that can be plugged into the circuit.

Cheers and Thx for help
  2. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
  3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    You might easily find that adding extra insulation and putting a dip in the piping to break thermosiphoning will save significant energy.
  4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    If you like to "empty" the water heater with a long shower. I think that will cost you more than leaving the heater on. Water heaters are as a thumb rule well insulated and equipped with thermostat. So the heating element is not on all the time. I think your electrical bill are high because of poor insulation in your apartment (if you live in a cold area that is). You may gain a lot by some simple insulation tricks.
  5. whatsthatsmell

Oct 9, 2009
    If you get back home at approx. the same time everyday, why not just use a timer switch designed for water heaters?