width considerations for MOSFET switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by arunkps, Feb 12, 2014.

1. arunkps

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 28, 2014
    What are the Width Length design considerations for the switch MOSFET (PMOS or NMOS) in synchronous buck converter?

2. pwdixon

Oct 11, 2012
    Odd question. Are you really asking about the physical size of the device?

3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    ...or are you referring to the channel dimensions used in the semiconductor?

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    or maybe PCB trace/track width/length considerations?

tshuck likes this.
  5. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Probably you are asking about the heat sink for the MOSFET, if the answer is yes then what are the W/V/I?

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    "size doesn't matter" :)

7. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    It's funny that the big MOSFETS never say that, just the small ones.

8. pwdixon

Oct 11, 2012
    Nice to see the originator of this thread hasn't even bothered to come back and ask a sensible question.

9. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Why you said that nice to see the OP ...

10. pwdixon

Oct 11, 2012
    Ironic .

11. arunkps

Jan 28, 2014
    Hi,

Sorry, for the delay and it is because of my internet problem. Meanwhile, people presumed about my absence.

Ok, here I give the detail. Basically I am designing a synchronous buck converter and have planned to do a layout in 180nm in Cadence. Initially, when I simulated a simple buck converter power stage in Cadence, I faced problem in the switching section i.e., both HSS (High Side Switch) and LSS (Low Side Switch). So when I tried to simulate a MOSFET (PMOS or NMOS) alone, I noticed that the MOSFET not acting as switch until I increased the width of the MOSFET to enormous value (100um). It is my understanding from the simulations; that inorder to act the MOSFET as switch, the width should be made very large such that the ON resistance become very small and the VDS ON will be very less and the complete input voltage can be seen at the output of the MOSFET.
    My simulations files are there for your reference. However the simulations are of the asynchronous buck converter.

The designed component values are for the spec
    vin=1.8v
    vout=500mv
    Load current=1mA
    switching frequency=1MHz
    output Iripple=100uA
    Output Vripple=500uv

Please help me in simulating this power stage.

12. arunkps

Jan 28, 2014
    Hi,

Sorry, for the delay and it is because of my internet problem. Meanwhile, people presumed about my absence.

Ok, here I give the detail. Basically I am designing a synchronous buck converter and have planned to do a layout in 180nm in Cadence. Initially, when I simulated a simple buck converter power stage in Cadence, I faced problem in the switching section i.e., both HSS (High Side Switch) and LSS (Low Side Switch). So when I tried to simulate a MOSFET (PMOS or NMOS) alone, I noticed that the MOSFET not acting as switch until I increased the width of the MOSFET to enormous value (1000um). It is my understanding from the simulations; that in order to act the MOSFET as switch, the width should be made very large such that the ON resistance become very small and the VDS ON will be very less and the complete input voltage can be seen at the output of the MOSFET.
    My simulations files are there for your reference. However the simulations are of the asynchronous buck converter.

The designed component values are for the spec
    vin=1.8v
    vout=500mv
    Load current=1mA
    switching frequency=1MHz
    output Iripple=100uA
    Output Vripple=500uv

Please help me in simulating this power stage.

13. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    What type of help do you need with the simulation?

14. arunkps

Jan 28, 2014
    I am not getting the desired 500mv output voltage.

15. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Output voltage on which schematic? Show us the voltages at all the nodes.

16. arunkps

Jan 28, 2014
    Hi,

Attachment in the buck converter circuit. I have designed the component values to get Vo of 500 mv. I will be thankful, if you can simulate it in 180nm (preferably CADENCE).