Why your username?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dave, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Dave

Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Looking at some of the members names here at AAC made me think - why do they call themselves that? Is it just a random name selected at registration or is there a deeper story behind the cryptic name?

So share your tale of why your username?

I'll go first......if you can't guess you shouldn't be using a computer! :D

Dave

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Well, it's either that I've been there and done that (got in the biz in the 1960's), or else my real name is embarassing & I hate to hear people giggling when they look at me.

3. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    My user name is nothing fancy. The first three letters are my initials (first,middle,last) and the last two letters are the standard abbreviation for junior.

hgmjr

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    In the phonetic alphabet, Papa and Bravo are the words for the letters P and B, which are the last two letters of my callsign.

5. Tube Tech

Jan 11, 2007
    Because I have been an electronic tech since Cadillacs had tailfins, stamps were 3 cents per and the government wouldn't lie to us.

6. mikeonthegreen

Jan 7, 2007
    The "Green" refers to a River in the U.S. Some of the best flyfishing in the world. Nothing better.

7. Dave

Nov 17, 2003
    Wow!! You must be old! :D

Dave

8. m4yh3m

Apr 28, 2004
    It's the first thing police run before they pull me over.

9. Thinker

Jan 9, 2007
    I'm called myself thinker because i spend a lot of time thinking of things I can't solve!

10. rag

Nov 26, 2006
    Hi These are the beginning three letters of my name

11. Gadget

Distinguished Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Kinda speaks for itself... ;)

12. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    As a child I had three favorite toys. "Erector Set" and "Leggo Block" don't have the same sex appeal as user names. The "3" is because I wasn't the first or second person to realise how sexy it is to make things.

13. Dave

Nov 17, 2003
    Lol!! There are some missed opportunities here! You do realise if you had signed up as "Erector Set" we probably would have black-listed you!!:D

Dave

14. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    I think the Erector Set is called "Mechano" over there in the UK. IIRC it was invented in the Land of Hope and Glory.

15. Dave

Nov 17, 2003
    I know Mechano well - it was every young boys geek toy!! I wasn't aware that it was a British invention, but then I am not surprised given the mechanical nature of it. The modern PC-groupies in Britain would have a field day with the name "Erector Set"!

Dave

16. Sparky

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 1, 2005
    Mine was given to me by a co-worker - a very good EE.

17. pebe

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 11, 2004
    Initials - can't get briefer than that.

18. Dave

Nov 17, 2003
    I have 3 friends that are all electricians, we know them as Sparky Mike, Sparky Andy and Sparky Chris!

Its a very convenient name for a 'leccy! :D

Dave

19. subtech

Nov 21, 2006
    I chose mine because of my work. I'm a very, very lucky individual. (Although some would say a crazy individual...) Since my teen years I've held electrical positions that involved everything from flashlight batteries to lightning bolts.
    I get to "play" with everything from steam driven generators that provide hundreds of megawatts of energy, to large transmission lines and three phase transformers with ratings up to 1000 MVA. Because all of this equipment is tied ultimately to switchyards and electrical power substations, I'm a substation tech.

20. Salgat

Dec 23, 2006
    My last name..haha.