Why workplace safety rules are important!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nsaspook, Aug 13, 2015.

1. nsaspook

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    http://www.kgw.com/story/money/busi...e-forced-pay-6m-worker-cooked-alive/31634217/
    From the AP:

2. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Ah yes, heard about that story several years ago. I since convinced my fiancee to stop eating Bumblebee tuna :D

BR-549 likes this.
  3. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Yum yum Bumblebee bumblebee tuna
    I love Bumblebee bumblebee tuna

4. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Wondered why my last can of Bumblebee tasted like chicken.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Lucky me. I haven't eaten tuna since it was served in grade school, about 55 years ago.
    Tuna Croquettes
    I can still remember how to spell that? :confused:
    Maybe Alzheimer's hasn't gotten to me yet. :D

6. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    I believe in safety, but have you had to dress up to open a 120 panel, or a 220 panel or a 440 panel?

To obey the new ARCFLASH regs is UN-believable. 100% cotton underwear and socks. Plus helmet, face shield, apron, rubber gloves over leather gloves and boots. And 100 % cotton head and neck shield.

And the same in the chemical industry. I used to work with many chemicals and repair leaks and make connections in street clothes.

Now it's full containment suits.

What used to be considered normal work is now classified as dangerous or hazardous.

It is now illegal for a farmer to sell raw milk. So my farmer friend gives me raw milk.

He is now required to submit soil samples of his fields before he can spread manure.

This is a complete farce and waste. No one cares more for that field than the farmer.

The only entity that required me to work in dangerous conditions was the US government.

And I did not have a choice in the matter. When I got out of the service, I was free.

Now days, you, your family and your employer are in the service.

You just haven't realized it.

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    You need to watch out for Basa fish on the menu!

Max.

8. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    When I first went into the environmental field, in the 70s, "The Solution to Pollution is Dilution" was the motto.

But after seeing the video, maybe recycling is the answer. o_O

9. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    What a bad way to go
    I remember the only time on the ship we almost had a mutiny. The lazy ass cooks made this Tuna slime from left-overs, powered milk and eggs for the crews dinner. No sane person would eat it so we all dumped the trays covered with that shiny goo in the trashcan. Some officers told us to stop, we said 'taste this crap'. They did then tossed their trays in the garbage.:mad: There then was a massive food fight with people tossing trays on the walls and floor. Somebody told the Captain who ran downstairs ready to raise hell but the officers stopped him and said "in polite terms' taste this S%@T. He did, then turned around without saying a word and walked back upstairs to his stateroom. We then hear on the 1MC "for all Mess officers and Chiefs to get their asses to his stateroom". 15 minutes later there is another announcement from the CO. "Today's dinner will be delayed for the cooking of steak, fresh bread and deserts for the crew, the galley will be closed, cleaned and decorated by the entire Mess crew, officers included while cooks prepare this dinner".
    After that we would have attacked the gates of Hell for that guy.

JoeJester and BR-549 like this.
  10. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    BR-549 likes this.