Why won't my cordless phone recognize a full charge on my expensive LaCrosse battery

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jhmac777, Oct 3, 2013.

1. jhmac777

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Why won't my cordless phone recognize a full charge on my expensive LaCrosse battery charger. Battery type is NIMH.
    I have to charge them in my panasonic phone to "show" that the battery is fully charged. But if I just fully charge it with my LaCrosse battery charger which is an expensive charger which charges each battery individually, they do not "show" as fully charged on my phone.
    Jim

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    When you consider that charging a battery always involves more voltage than the battery can deliver, the phone is probably waiting for the charging voltage to hit its peak, but it isn't going to hit its peak unless it is being charged while the phone is measuring the battery voltage.

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    expensive does NOT always equal better.. In fact many times its opposite.

4. jhmac777

Oct 3, 2013
    Actually, it seems to over charge when put into the phone charger after charging with the battery charger.
    The LaCrosse charger is highly rated.
    Jim

5. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    High end battery packs often have a communication line to the charger that allows it to know when it's fully charged. A generic charger probably can't read that. It may set data in the battery's memory that the phone would read as full.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    So you charge the battery with a "highly rated" charger, then put it into another charger when you know it's already fully charged.

I think you need to have a talk with your phone charger about what to do when charging a battery that is already charged. It seems to be confused about what you want.

But, seriously, Don't Do That!
    The battery doesn't care what some blinky light or bar graph on your phone says. It only cares that you are burning its guts out. If you want you phone charger to show, "full", let the phone charge the battery. If you just want the battery charged, pick one charger.

7. jhmac777

Oct 3, 2013
    What is a high end battery pack and a generic charger? My phone charges the battery and my LaCrosse charger is a battery manager according to a battery charge guide. I use AAA NiMh eneloop batteries.
    Jim

8. jhmac777

Oct 3, 2013
    Eneloops are precharged. If I charge this battery in the Panasonic cordless phone will it overcharge the battery.
    Jim

9. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    How much "air time " are you getting out of a charge... Are you a gamer,, text a lot ?? maybe the malfunction is not the battery or the charger ...:D

10. jhmac777

Oct 3, 2013
    cordl
    ess phone????​