Why very big size semiconductor device aren't produced?

nnuni

Joined Jul 29, 2016
In my project I need a capacitor with very high capacity, but it must be ceramic (semiconductors used as a dielectric). Why in market, industry it is limited by size and by by capacity. We know very well that if we increase area of capacitor its capacity also rise proportionally. Even solar battery is made as cell (little unit). Is it impossible to produce large scale semiconductor device.
If is it so for my purpose can I use many (thousand of) parallel capacitors. But I'm affraid it must have many probleme with parallel capacitors (cost, noise, switching) , because i use them for resonance circuit

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In my project I need a capacitor with very high capacity, but it must be ceramic (semiconductors used as a dielectric). Why in market, industry it is limited by size and by by capacity. We know very well that if we increase area of capacitor its capacity also rise proportionally. Even solar battery is made as cell (little unit). Is it impossible to produce large scale semiconductor device.
If is it so for my purpose can I use many (thousand of) parallel capacitors. But I'm affraid it must have many probleme with parallel capacitors (cost, noise, switching) , because i use them for resonance circuit
I use very large capacitors in power supplies all the time.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
More information on what you are doing and what capacitor values you need would be much helpful.

Odds are something already exists that will fit your requirements but you just don't know about it.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
It is very expensive to put a capacitor on a semiconductor wafer.
It is also very expensive to put a circuit on a semiconductor wafer, so large circuits would be prohibitively expensive.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The problem is defects in the semiconductor.
There are always numerous defects scattered across the processed semiconductor wafer, thus the larger the chips on that wafer, the more chance of that chip having a defect, which means it has to be discarded.
For typical process defect rate at present it's uneconomical to build chips to more than about 10mm on a side, except for expensive lower volume chips, such as large CCD or CMOS imagers for cameras, some of which are over an inch in size.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Capacitors are not, in the usual sense, used as dialectrics, and even then only for very small amounts of capacitance. Ceramic capacitors use ceramic materials as the dialectric. I see 10 uF ceramic capacitors on my distributor's website, and I think I have see capacitors several times that large on the internet.

It might be that you don't need a ceramic capacitor and that some other type would work fine in your application. Can you tell us more about the capacitor's application?

Related to the main question but not helpful:
A friend of mine works at a photoelectric cell manufacturer =the big kind used in solar power stations and arrays. He says "We're in the business of making diodes, BIG DIODES" That is a pretty big semiconductor. Granted simple.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Is your question about very large ceramic capacitors or very large semiconductors (diodes and transistors). Yes they make diodes and transistors for thousands of Volts at hundreds of Amps. How much capacitance at what voltage for a ceramic capacitor do you need?

Techno Tronix

Joined Jan 10, 2015
Why in market, industry it is limited by size and by by capacity.
With the large size semiconductor devices the cooling methods required inefficient and served as a major source of e-waste where with small equipment enabled devices to be cooler, faster and powerful.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
With the large size semiconductor devices the cooling methods required inefficient and served as a major source of e-waste where with small equipment enabled devices to be cooler, faster and powerful.
What? o_O

Package size is relative to energy dissipation that device has to deal with as in, a to-92 package can not dissipate the same wattage as say a TO-247 package. :rolleyes:

E-waste value is irrelevant.