Why the need to login to view schematics or images

FastEddie

Joined Jul 14, 2007
Just wondering why anyone should have to log in to view schematics or images that users post? I usually like to check out the forums around 10-20 times a week. But I don't normally log in unless I see a post that I feel confident about answering someone's question with a decent answer. With my limited electronics experience that is not often, but I'd still like to see the schematics and images.
Thanks

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The login to look at the schematics and pictures is probably needed to protect the posters of the attachements.
If everyone could look at them, spambots and copybots could also use them.

If login you can also mark the remember me button, in the login box.
This way you will always see the attachments.

Greetings,
Bertus

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
On top of what Bertus has posted, it's also a way to encourage registration and participation on the forums. It's quite common on other boards as well, and it's actually a default setting with the vBulletin software.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
On top of what Bertus has posted, it's also a way to encourage registration and participation on the forums. It's quite common on other boards as well, and it's actually a default setting with the vBulletin software.
Think of the bandwidth involved with all of the attachments.

If some bot or dufus kept running through all the posts, the bandwidth bill would be huge. And they didn't contribute anything.