why so few members stay logged in?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by takao21203, Jun 28, 2014.

1. takao21203

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    It's down to about 30 to 40 now for a while, when it was about 50 to 60.

In this time about 40,000 new members joined!

In recent months posting frequency is down too, sometimes an hour or two between posts.

What's going on? Nearly 250,000 members?

What is the benefit of logging out all the time, and logging in again? Mostly I remain logged in all the time.

There should be more new posts with so many members, of many of them are dummy registrations?

Confused. Where did the people go?
  2. bertus

Apr 5, 2008

You will get logged off 1 hour after the last activity.
    You will be logged in automaticaly, when you have set the "remember me" checkbox.
    The login details are stored in cookies on your PC.
    When you clear the cookies, you will need to login again.

Most of the registered members ONLY registered to see the attachments.
    The registration is a requirement to avoid bots to getting access to the attachments.
    There are 240.000 members registrated, but only 40.000 in the memberslist.
    The memberslist only shows the members that made 1 or more posts.
    This will imply that 80 % never made a post.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    absf likes this.
  3. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    I normally leave my PC logged on when I am in my office and log off before I go home. But at home I just log on when I want to read AAC, ETO and EDA posts. Most of the time I am busy with repairs and watching DVDs.

I guess there are less people log in during Friday night till Sunday night. Most people are having their happy hours with their friends outside.

4. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Bertus? I log in through my mobile device and appear to always be logged in. How come I don't appear to log off? I have selected "remember me", so is that transparently logging me back in when I go to the browser?
  5. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Most probably, this is the reason.
  6. bertus

Apr 5, 2008

As said, when you have the "remember me" set, the site will automaticaly log you in, using the set cookies.
    Even a visit or a refresh of the page is enough to do so.

7. takao21203

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    so when i use chrome, and after an hour visit the forum with IE, I should not see myself logged in? I will check that.
  8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    How are you going to see if unless you refresh? Or are logged in on a second account?

I use the invisible feature, so spammers don't know I'm lurking.
  9. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Why does it matter if a member stays logged in or not? When I'm done browsing I log out. Logging in later isn't a huge drama.

On the matter of the substantial numerical membership, it's probably worth re-iterating that there is a significant proportion of the membership that have a very low post count and/or include those who are one-time-only users of the AAC forums.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014