Why say AC current, not just AC?

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Maybe we can tie these topics together.

I've heard people talk about AC and DC in the context of mechanical force equations. For example with mass/spring oscillators. These problems can be analyzed the same way as circuits and you can have AC and DC analysis. How strange is it to talk about alternating and direct current in that context?

But the OP's query is based on semantics and not laws of electricity

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
But the OP's query is based on semantics and not laws of electricity
Well, yes. But, is it semantically correct to use electricity terms in the context of a mechanical problem? If I describe an AC component of a force, or a DC component of a force, does this make any real sense? What is an "alternating current force" mean in the context of a mechanical problem? It means nothing if interpreted literally, but most engineers and scientists will understand what you mean if you talk about AC and DC components of a signal or any variable quantity.

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Actually, the terminology being used can be considered an engineering 'slang' and can be ignored upto some extent as it does not affect the laws of electricity. Argument on semantics is futile.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
As I understand the term a reciprocating mechanism is one which converts linear motion (to and fro) into circular motion (eg at a shaft) or vice versa.

Such mechanisms include rack and pinion, scotch yoke, eccentric cam, piston/con rod.