Why not stick multimeter across wall plug?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Yaşar Arabacı, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Yaşar Arabacı

Thread Starter Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Hi,

A book I am reading warns me that I shouldn't stick a multimeter across a wall-plug to measure it's current. I am wondering why not? For example, if I have a multimeter that can measure up until 1kV and I am trying to measure 220V AC wall-plug, I would imagine that multimeter can handle it. Am I missing something here?

2. Brevor

Apr 9, 2011
    Voltage and current are 2 different things, Your wall plug is 220 VOLTS you can measure that with your multimeter set to volts. Dont try to measure current from a wall plug you will destroy your meter.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    Lundwall_Paul likes this.
  3. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    you measure current in SERIES with a load. if you connect to a wall plug, it will be a dead shore (for a short time) in paralel with the 220 volts.

4. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    You do that and you are lucky if you don't end up in the hospital or worse, in ur grave

5. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Agree with Brevor in post #2. You should be able to measure volts with no problem. Use extreme caution! Make sure you're on AC Volts and set the range to higher than the voltage you expect to see. NEVER try to measure current across the outlet. The current function on your meter has ZERO resistance, and so you'll have 220V directly across a dead short. Your meter's death, and possibly yours, will be immediate and spectacular!

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  7. Gdrumm

Distinguished Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Tyrone does a great job explaining here:

8. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    The fact that it can measure a lot of camels (a thousand volts) is irrelevant when you are trying to measure goats (current).

BR-549 likes this.
  9. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    [responding to #1, not WBahn's goats]
    Why not? Many meters do not have a fuse the ammeter's high-current input, and so the meter itself becomes the fuse, just like sticking a pair of tweezers into the outlet (something I have direct experience with!).

At best, there is a fuse in the meter that will protect you and your meter. Next up is the circuit breaker in your house for the outlet you are "testing"; it will likely trip at 15A if your meter hasn't already exploded. If the breaker fails to trip, it's a toss-up between the shunt inside your meter and your house wiring as to which will go poof first. I'd bet on the meter in your hand lighting up like a light bulb.

Point is, your attempt to measure the amperage capacity of your outlet will result in destruction of the weakest link. You won't have time to see any useful measurement on your display.

10. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I would have thought if they went that far, they would have explained why?
    Max.

11. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    To measure AC mains current, do as Tyrone says. Get a clamp-on AC current meter.

[​IMG]

12. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I have the type that plugs in to a regular meter.
    Max.

13. snav

Aug 1, 2011
    Mains supplied current should always be measured with non contact metering IMHO. When I first got my fluke 117 I discovered a DMM-11 was $32! More than the battery that I blew it on. You learn to check leads often when measuring DC current. I would use clamp accessory if it weren't that I spend most of my time in the MA range.

14. Lundwall_Paul

Oct 18, 2011
    When measuring current in series with a DMM you should be clear about the meters current range and have an idea what the load current should be. A red flag for reading current is series would be the gauge of the circuits wires. Like connecting a 10 amp DMM in series with a circuit 6 gauge wire. Clamp on meters are a very good choice.

15. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    No electrician measures AC mains current by connecting an AC ammeter in series with the circuit.

There are two simple reasons to use a clamp-on meter:
    1. convenience
    2. safety
    Always use a clamp-on meter.

strantor and Lundwall_Paul like this.
  16. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    IME; the fuse in a multimeter serves only one putpose - as an indicator that tells you the meter is Napoleon blownaparte.

studiot and MrChips like this.