Why Magenets poles considered in this way.? Why can't around this way.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hola MrAl,

Not sure if you are talking of the same I found out some time ago.

Magnets to be stuck on the fridge door are usually "formatted" with an unusual layout: specific layer magnetized along consecutive narrow stripes of alternate polarity. I even recall one or two where, if looking carefully, there were mechanical traces of the process.

The most simple way to verify it: taking two magnets with the magnetized sides in contact and by sliding them slowly in the appropriate sense, you could feel the successive attractions/rejections.

Explained here.

Hi,

While those may be refrigerator magnets there are other types that are simply a N and S pole, one on each face. I use the single face pole type and i have a lot of them :)
The rare earth magnets are super strong and even hold up my flashlights.
I've seen a really big rare earth magnet but it was expensive.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
It is called "earth". Everyone calls it the "North Pole" but it is really a South Pole magnetically.

Hi,

Yes ha ha, the earth's north pole must be a 'magnet' south pole because it attracts a north pole of a bar magnet.

But we can use any magnet with N and S poles as a compass. I've even used the round, flat type magnets simply by suspending the magnet from a long sewing thread with maybe some super glue, then holding up by the loose end of the thread. The magnet turns and turns, but eventually comes to rest in the direction where the north pole points to the north pole of the earth. If the magnet north pole is marked with a good marker, it can be used as a compass.
This is a lot easier than trying to float a magnet on the surface of a bowl of water with some wood or styrofoam.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hi,

Yes ha ha, the earth's north pole must be a 'magnet' south pole because it attracts a north pole of a bar magnet.

But we can use any magnet with N and S poles as a compass. I've even used the round, flat type magnets simply by suspending the magnet from a long sewing thread with maybe some super glue, then holding up by the loose end of the thread. The magnet turns and turns, but eventually comes to rest in the direction where the north pole points to the north pole of the earth. If the magnet north pole is marked with a good marker, it can be used as a compass.
This is a lot easier than trying to float a magnet on the surface of a bowl of water with some wood or styrofoam.
Hola MrAl

Look at how the standard compasses are/were built. To increase the force keeping the magnet steadily oriented, the way was to use a layout of 2, 4 or 6 "needles" parallel to each other ("equipaje magnético" in Spanish) located symetrically centered on both sides of the compass rose center. Even if the vessel turns hard to one side, the helmsman knows he is seen what course she has at any moment.

Once, because of an unexpected leakage, we had to refill the bowl (?!) containing the whole thing. It required a mix of distilled water plus alcohol. (You do not want your compass freezing when underway).

I know that things have changed a lot nowadays.