Why is Fuzzy logic preferred over Neural Network in embedded systems?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by rudha13, Mar 30, 2016.

1. rudha13

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 6, 2015
    hello all,
    I recently came upon this doubt. While going through the embedded system found in a washing machine( for clothes), I was confused as to why most of the machines used a fuzzy logic algorithm rather than a neural network algorithm when the latter has more pros compared to the former?

2. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    I guess you'd have to be more specific in how each was implemented. The few times I was asked to use Fuzzy in a product was more of a marketing thing than anything else although the graphical rules generation was kind of neat.
    FWIW, The redoubtable Bob Pease takes on Fuzzy Logic (and some neural network stuff) here: http://electronicdesign.com/digital-ics/whats-all-fuzzy-logic-stuff-anyhow
    I'm not sure why you'd need either for a washing machine. What does the machine's maker say about the supposed advantages of Fuzzy?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  3. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Probably because licensing a neural network protocol is too expensive, overkill for a washing machine and the phrase, "fuzzy logic" did beater with a focus group of potential customers than the lower tech sounding phrase, "neural network". "Neural network" sounds a bit scary to the average consumer - like their washing machine is connected to the "network" and some Chinese government employee is monitoring their every move through that machine.

rudha13 likes this.
  4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Never used either one in a career lasting half a century.

rudha13 likes this.
  5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Here's a little blurb I wrote on Fuzzy vs. PID control.
    Don't know much about Fuzzy vs. Neural approaches.

JohnInTX and rudha13 like this.
  6. rudha13

Sep 6, 2015
    well, i thought that the fuzzy logic was more user-friendly than the neural type. But then, I decided to post this question anyway, after doubts that my understanding was far too simple to be considered true from an engineering or a technical viewpoint.
    Thank you anyway..!

7. rudha13

Sep 6, 2015
    Hahaha..! Well, I suppose that its another way of looking into this, albeit a creative and a weird one..! I would agree with what you said in your first line regarding expensive licensing required for the neural network type. I never thought about it that way.
    Thank you anyway..!
    P.S- I am pretty sure that a neural network doesn't work that way.

8. rudha13

Sep 6, 2015
    Wow! Interesting piece of article..! Thank you for sharing it..!

9. rudha13

Sep 6, 2015
    Hm... ok. Thank you anyway!
    And yes, I appreciate the fact that your answer mirrors your quote. :)