Why i wasnt shocked?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Kadmos, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. Kadmos

    Thread Starter Member

    Mar 15, 2005
    20
    0
    Hi
    Before some years i was socked by a 220V AC and i didnt had anyproblem.
    why?
     
  2. Brandon

    Senior Member

    Dec 14, 2004
    306
    0
    Whats the actual question? Any problem with what?

    I've been hit with 100KV before. What matters is the current you get hit with, where it hits you and if its an internal shock or a surface shock. A 9Vdc battery can kill you under certain circumstances.
     
  3. Brandon

    Senior Member

    Dec 14, 2004
    306
    0
    Whats the actual question? Any problem with what?

    I've been hit with 100KV before. What matters is the current you get hit with, where it hits you and if its an internal shock or a surface shock. A 9Vdc battery can kill you under certain circumstances.

    You probably didn't get hit for long, or you really weren't grounded so the current didn't flow through you or it did at a very tiny rate. Or you were sweating and the current went through you saltly sweat and not your body, any number of reasons.

    Grumble.. hate when I double post by mistake.
     
  4. Firestorm

    Senior Member

    Jan 24, 2005
    353
    0
    yea current is what matters and I think there was a post about this earlier this yr...
    just think about electric fences...
    they can reach up o 10Kv and hurt yes but the current is very slow. This allows the animal to know the fence is there but not kill him.
    thx l8er

    -fire
     
  5. buddyengineers

    Member

    Mar 19, 2005
    26
    0
    yes it certainly is the current tht can kill u ..,

    We all know tht Skin resistance seem to vary greatly,
    depending on moisture content, etc, from hundreds of
    KOhms when dry to much lower. But it is very easy for
    current to pierce skin, or perhaps to contact exposed
    areas of other types of tissue, such as mouth, eyes,
    et al, where the resistance might be relatively low.

    But it might be somewhat easier to kill oneself with a
    multimeter by placing one of the probes directly over
    your heart (between the ribs) and then falling on it.
    However, I have not tried either method.

    It is stated that "the fatal current" is between 0.1
    and 0.2 Amperes.

    The reason is that when the current is in that range,
    it causes the heart to go into fibrillation, so that
    even if the source is removed, it will likely not
    begin beating normally again, on its own.

    Above about 0.2 amps, the heart muscle is merely
    "clamped", so that IF the current is removed, the
    heart will likely begin beating again, on its own.
    (Also, of course, for extremely large currents, severe
    tissue damage and death are easily imaginable.)

    And below 0.1 amps, symtoms only range from "mild
    discomfort" up to "extreme difficulty breathing".


    So thts wat has not happnd to u and so ur still alive and discussing it withus..
    Anyays good luck further and take care wit electricity

    "Electricity is nice. But
    don't get any on you."

    Cya
     
  6. Firestorm

    Senior Member

    Jan 24, 2005
    353
    0
    lol good advice :lol: :)
    thx l8er

    -fire
     
  7. buddyengineers

    Member

    Mar 19, 2005
    26
    0

    thnx firestorm., u liked tht.., anyways..., hav a nice day

    cya
     
  8. buddyengineers

    Member

    Mar 19, 2005
    26
    0

    thnx firestorm., u liked tht.., anyways..., hav a nice day

    cya
     
  9. n9xv

    Senior Member

    Jan 18, 2005
    329
    1
    The only reason you are alive today and even able to pose that question is because you were not sufficiently grounded when you were "shocked" by the 220-VAC. The angels were watching over you that day :D
     
Loading...