Why geometry is important

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I did a lot of whining in post #17, and I thought about it since then.

It seems every generation has decried the future of the next generation. Maybe that is natural because every parent wants the best for their own children, and by extension, goodness for every child. I think this site is loaded with nerds to the point that most people can't think on this level. Not to disparage other types of overachievers; There are people skilled in a hundred fields of endeavor...doctors, lawyers, Indian chiefs, bibliophiles, mathematicians, lawn mower repairmen, furniture makers, etc. By definition, half the people have an IQ below 100. We worry about those, but more so, we worry about people with average or better assets who just don't seem to have any focus or future. That doesn't mean the world is doomed. It just means we worry more about those individuals who seem doomed, and some of them touch our lives in a personal way. That is the source of my anguish.

I sincerely wish I did not watch my friends' children grow up to be parasites, and that was most of them. I also know one who passed me like I was standing still and half a dozen that are my equal, any way you look at it. I guess that is the way the world turns. The bell curve is in action here. We don't worry about those who turn out well, but those seem to be the minority. Most people are about average and there is a ne'er do well for every genius. What boggles my mind is the 7.4 billion people on this planet, and 3.7 billion of them are below average in intellect and/or achievement. I find that difficult to imagine. I wish it wasn't true. I especially wish it wasn't true for the children of my friends and family.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
In The Bell Curve, the authors point out that even a 70 IQ human can survive fairly well. They might even be hard to identify from only brief encounters. Small consolation?

And don't forget, half would still be below average even if we doubled the average.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I did a lot of whining in post #17, and I thought about it since then.

It seems every generation has decried the future of the next generation. Maybe that is natural because every parent wants the best for their own children, and by extension, goodness for every child. I think this site is loaded with nerds to the point that most people can't think on this level. Not to disparage other types of overachievers; There are people skilled in a hundred fields of endeavor...doctors, lawyers, Indian chiefs, bibliophiles, mathematicians, lawn mower repairmen, furniture makers, etc. By definition, half the people have an IQ below 100. We worry about those, but more so, we worry about people with average or better assets who just don't seem to have any focus or future. That doesn't mean the world is doomed. It just means we worry more about those individuals who seem doomed, and some of them touch our lives in a personal way. That is the source of my anguish.
I sincerely wish I did not watch my friends' children grow up to be parasites, and that was most of them. I also know one who passed me like I was standing still and half a dozen that are my equal, any way you look at it. I guess that is the way the world turns. The bell curve is in action here. We don't worry about those who turn out well, but those seem to be the minority. Most people are about average and there is a ne'er do well for every genius. What boggles my mind is the 7.4 billion people on this planet, and 3.7 billion of them are below average in intellect and/or achievement. I find that difficult to imagine. I wish it wasn't true. I especially wish it wasn't true for the children of my friends and family.
One major problem is the U.S. school system has been dumbed down and high school students can graduate without knowing basic math and science. Furthermore, many parents don't give damn about their children's education and they pass the buck to the dumbed down school system.

I often make the assertion that the U.S. is on its way to becoming a "Failed Country" and these are the ominous signs of impending demise.
A huge national debt (over $50,000 per person) that's owed to foreign countries.
A failing public school system.
The U.S. is engaged in several wars and enlisting mercenaries to fight them.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Do we really need to turn a thread about geometry into a political rant?
Back to topic then...

What boggles my mind is the 7.4 billion people on this planet, and 3.7 billion of them are below average in intellect and/or achievement.
While I think that what you're saying is true, I also think that abstract intelligence is sometimes overvalued. Personally, I think that social and personal intelligence are more important for our everyday lives (I struggle a little bit at both, btw)... most people out there are looking for the next Albert Einstein, but I feel that the world could also use more Forrest Gumps

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Back to topic then...

While I think that what you're saying is true, I also think that abstract intelligence is sometimes overvalued. Personally, I think that social and personal intelligence are more important for our everyday lives (I struggle a little bit at both, btw)... most people out there are looking for the next Albert Einstein, but I feel that the world could also use more Forrest Gumps
Schools have been attempting to teach "Social Intelligence" for decades and it's an absolute failure.

Most high school students with "social skills" aren't qualified for a minimum wage job. Employers rightly want to see intellectual skills and they don't give a rat's behind about whether you participated in sports or parties.

Also, this is my last post on this subject before Mr. Bhan hits the emergency stop button and locks the thread.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just keep in mind, there are other options. Why do feel the need to make things political where it is not wanted? There are other forums out there.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I figured out a long time ago that a PIB who is very good at his job doesn't stay employed when the axe falls, while nice people who are only average are kept. That doesn't make, "nice" the most important thing to me, but I have enough sense to bring some with me if I want to keep my job.;)

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I figured out a long time ago that a PIB who is very good at his job doesn't stay employed when the axe falls, while nice people who are only average are kept. That doesn't make, "nice" the most important thing to me, but I have enough sense to bring some with me if I want to keep my job.;)
Actually, if you were represented by the Teamster's Union (or another group of organized thugs), they would be "Not very nice" on your behalf (Like when your boss comes out to the parking lot and finds all 4 tires are flat) ----------- and you could keep your job. :eek:

By the way, what's a "PIB"?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Is there a forum on AAC for waging the verbal equivalent of nuclear warfare? :p
No. There isn't. The owners of AAC have made it clear that they don't want such a forum in the place that they own. If you want to wage the verbal equivalent of nuclear warfare in some forum, there are PLENTY of sites out there that will happily accommodate you. Please go to one of them to fill that need.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Actually, if you were represented by the Teamster's Union (or another group of organized thugs), they would be "Not very nice" on your behalf (Like when your boss comes out to the parking lot and finds all 4 tires are flat) ----------- and you could keep your job. :eek:

By the way, what's a "PIB"?
PIB is "Pain in the butt"

Example: Someone that insists on turning discussions political even after being told repeatedly not to. This kind of PIB likes flirting with, and eventually gets, banned. Hint. Hint.