Why earthing required in Electronics?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jkj123, Nov 21, 2008.

1. jkj123

Thread Starter Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Don't think me as a kid. Do we really require an earthing in electronic system which is working on 12VDC and having RS485 communication with another system of same type (I mean 12VDC).
    I dont say about Ground, it is about Earthing which is using in the AC mains.

Please share your valuable ideas, because I have seen a lot of electronic equipments, even Laptop power supply is using Earth line.

Thanks,
    Jaison

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
  3. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    That thread Bill referenced is a very good read for this particular question. It may help to put that thread in context of the section of the e-book which the OP was started from (see http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_3/8.html); it should also help to answer your question in itself.

Dave

4. jkj123

Thread Starter Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks a lot for your help and that article.
    But that article is talking mainly about high voltage AC voltages.
    My doubt is mainly in the area of earthing (3rd Pin) used in power supplies which are used for laptops and such types of electronic gadgets.

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Yes, but they still plug into a wall recepticle. It stated with high voltage, so the rules apply throughout the system. What happens if the power supply malfunctions in a catastrophic way?

When they are running off of internal batterys the third wire and power supply is gone.

6. jkj123

Thread Starter Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Thank you so much...