why does voltmeter show voltage ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ol'trusty, Nov 3, 2009.

1. ol'trusty

Thread Starter Member

Sep 9, 2009
    I am looking for an explanation on why does a voltmeter show voltage when on dc volt mode and I connect a capacitor ? Also when I touch both ends it shows between 100-300 millivolts (or put it on my tongue for example).

Can someone please explain this..

Thanks
    Trusty

2. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Most modrn meters have an input impedance of 10 MEG ohms which means even a very small amount of noise picked up on the test leads will generate a voltage which it will display.

3. ol'trusty

Thread Starter Member

Sep 9, 2009
    How is my tongue noise ?

4. hobbyist

Distinguished Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Because of the high input resistance as mentioned above,your getting phantom readings so no matter what you touch on your body with the probes a phantom reading will show a steady display the moment the probes are touched.

5. davebee

Oct 22, 2008
    The metal probes and your tongue may be forming a battery and chemically creating an actual voltage.

6. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    touch some scope leads with your hands and see how much noise you are eminating.

7. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    The human body is a pretty good antenna for various RF signals.

8. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Isn't the "noise" basically what a EKG or EEG measuring?

Cary

9. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    No. An EKG measures a signal actually coming from your heart. The meter is measuring electrical junk on your skin picked up from the air.

10. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    A good experiment to prove this noise is to get an oscilloscope and touch the center conductor of the probe (don't touch ground!). You will get a oscillation on the scope which will be quite distorted, likely in the mV range.

Austin