why does my pc not work?

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Ok i built a pc with a core 2 duo 6 gigs of ddr2 ram and a dell inspiron 545s motherboard 400 watt power supply 250gb hard drive.And this is a sleeper pc so it is in a compaq presario SR1000 case and i am using the power switch that was originally in the case (also this is my first time building a pc after studying them for a year) So i put it all together and the first month it worked but the power button was not working so it would turn on by itself after plugging in the power chord.But now i get a black screen and no fan spin up but i swapped the bios battery twice but the orange light on the motherboard still shines when i plug it in.At the computer store the guy there thinks it is the power supply but i also tried a 300 watt power supply on it but it still does not work also the CMOS is weird it has 2x3 pins with little sleeves over them.I played around with those and tried resetting the bios but still does not work.And also this is the second motherboard i went through on this pc but this motherboard is brand new so i know it works someone plzzzz help me

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Amazing.
A whole 9-line paragraph consisting of one sentence. :eek:
If you use some periods and capital letters to make that into a number of understandable sentences, then I might be able to understand what you are asking. :rolleyes:

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Amazing.
If you use some periods and capital letters to make that into a number of understandable sentences, then I might be able to understand what you are asking. :rolleyes:
thats not helping and also i am 13 so do not expect the best grammer you ever saw in your life this thread is not titled I NEED HELP WITH MY GRAMMER SOMEONE PLZZ HELP MMMMMEEEEEEEEEE

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Amazing.
and also i am really desperate so i do not want replies like that

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Unless you native language is not English you should be able to write a decent sentence at age 13.
If you can't be bothered to do that, then I can't be bothered to try to decipher it.
It someone else is willing to, they're welcome to try.

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Unless you native language is not English you should be able to write a decent sentence at age 13.
If you can't be bothered to do that, then I can't be bothered to try to decipher it.
It someone else is willing to, they're welcome to try.
ok it does not even take a idiot to read a sentence like this i just fixed it up with periods and CAPS

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Ok i built a pc with a core 2 duo 6 gigs of ddr2 ram and a dell inspiron 545s motherboard 400 watt power supply 250gb hard drive.And this is a sleeper pc so it is in a compaq presario SR1000 case and i am using the power switch that was originally in the case (also this is my first time building a pc after studying them for a year) So i put it all together and the first month it worked but the power button was not working so it would turn on by itself after plugging in the power chord.But now i get a black screen and no fan spin up but i swapped the bios battery twice but the orange light on the motherboard still shines when i plug it in.At the computer store the guy there thinks it is the power supply but i also tried a 300 watt power supply on it but it still does not work also the CMOS is weird it has 2x3 pins with little sleeves over them.I played around with those and tried resetting the bios but still does not work.And also this is the second motherboard i went through on this pc but this motherboard is brand new so i know it works someone plzzzz help me
Brand new doesn't guarantee it works - just that they'll replace it if it doesn't.

You should be able to download the manual that itemises all the pin headers and what they do.

If it has on board video - all you need connected to the board is PSU, monitor, KBD, memory and the front panel connectors. You should get the POST screen as it boots up, and be able to invoke the setup menu.

One that had me going for a while, a secondhand tower case with a dodgy power button. The springy bit of plastic had come away, so more often than not, the switch was pressed without me pressing the button. It would appear to switch off - then spring to life as I was working on it.

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Brand new doesn't guarantee it works - just that they'll replace it if it doesn't.

You should be able to download the manual that itemises all the pin headers and what they do.

If it has on board video - all you need connected to the board is PSU, monitor, KBD, memory and the front panel connectors. You should get the POST screen as it boots up, and be able to invoke the setup menu.

One that had me going for a while, a secondhand tower case with a dodgy power button. The springy bit of plastic had come away, so more often than not, the switch was pressed without me pressing the button. It would appear to switch off - then spring to life as I was working on it.
ok thanks i will try that thanks for helping while someone over here does not wanna help (hey do you hear that crutschow?)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
ok thanks i will try that thanks for helping while someone over here does not wanna help (hey do you hear that crutschow?)
If you can get into the setup menu - invoke failsafe defaults, its usually F9 but the screen should tell you.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar - improving your writing skills would improve the replies you get.

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
If you can get into the setup menu - invoke failsafe defaults, its usually F9 but the screen should tell you.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar - improving your writing skills would improve the replies you get.
i doubt my writing is why am not getting much replies but whatever

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
So you're 13 and trying to build computers, and learning that you don't have the skills and tools to do that. Some people can slap a computer together and get lucky. You weren't lucky and now you're stuck. I suggest you spend your time on something else, or, if you really want to learn this stuff, take some classes and/or get some training from people that know what they're doing.

I'm sure there are people here than can help you, but so far you have alienated some of them.

I can't really help you except to suggest the "divide and conquer" strategy. That's all I'd be able to do. You need a working machine you can test parts in. Is the PSU good, is the motherboard OK, how's the hard drive and video card? It's almost impossible to answer these questions without a way to isolate and test each component. Even that can be difficult, since the parts interact.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
So you're 13 and trying to build computers, and learning that you don't have the skills and tools to do that. Some people can slap a computer together and get lucky. You weren't lucky and now you're stuck. I suggest you spend your time on something else, or, if you really want to learn this stuff, take some classes and/or get some training from people that know what they're doing.

My first PC was £5 from the local tip - it sort of worked and had some pretty handy software on the HDD. NU and Xtree are the ones I remember best. There was no such things as registry back then, so I could just ARJ archive the application folder and unpack it on another PC.