Why do we prefer Ac over DC?

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
well..... The Avantages of AC over DC is given below.....
More Power:
Probably the biggest advantage of AC over DC is that you can generate much more power from AC than DC. Alternating current is generated by large turbines. Direct current normally comes from batteries or sometimes from solar panels. Solar panels large enough to power entire cities would take huge amounts of land. Batteries use chemical reactions to produce electricity. Producing a huge battery would be expensive and impractical. Large turbines can be easily built and powered using steam, nuclear or hydraulic power.
Long Distance Transmission:
The ability to generate higher voltages with AC translates into the ability to transmit that power over longer distances. Longer distance in the sense if we increase the voltage the current will decrease so there will be a minimum loss in the resistance of the conductor so it can travel quiet longer distance than the normal.. Alternating current is generated at power stations and transmitted through power lines to substations that can boost AC and keep it going farther distances.
Conversion
In some operations, direct current may be preferred. However, it is easy to convert AC to DC by using simple transformers. It is much more difficult and costly to convert DC to AC.
Alternating Current in the Home:
One of the reasons that AC is better than DC in the home is that AC can be stepped up or down using transformers. On the other hand, when using DC, the power supply must match the load it powers. If you have a 120 volt lamp, then you need a 120 volt battery. If the battery is 240 volts, then the voltage can be reduced using a resistor, but, that would waste half the voltage. So power is wasted so current bill will be more :D :D
Commercial Advantages
Another advantage of the use of alternating current lies in manufacturing and other production facilities that drive the economy. Electric motors are used to drive conveyors and other equipment. The advantages of the AC motor are that they can yield a higher output of horsepower than DC motors and they are simpler in function than a DC motor. Also, transformers allow AC to be stepped up or down where it is needed to drive different sized motors.

above mentions the advantages of AC.. From that we conclude AC has both economical as well as technical advantage which is useful for Both commercial and home...

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
A link to eHow, should be added. They spend their time and money writing their articles. You should give credit where it is due.

Remember plagiarism is very easy to find with google. And adding a few words to the end of the copied and pasted work does not make it yours.

Im sure it wasnt intentional, but it does look that way. You should use the quote function when using others words.

Please edit your post to provide a by-line.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
A link to eHow, should be addeded. They spend their time and money writing their articles. You should give credit where it is due.

Remember plagerizm is very easy to find with google. And adding a few words to the end of the copied and pasted work does not make it yours.

Please edit your post to provide a by-line.
I made essentially the same comment, then deleted it.
Plagiarism is not the way to promote one's image as a guru.:rolleyes:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
all Indian's are born a guru by nature :D.
so plagiarism do not apply to 'em.
My opinion. warn OP. if not edited his post

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I know that Ron..since I am closer to India and I do understand and speak Hindu up to some extent. Every Indian wants to be a guru of some kind as I have seen. But more knowledgeable are getting better though