Why do they use phase dots throughout this schematic?

Discussion in 'Technical Repair' started by donovan_digital, Aug 3, 2016.

1. donovan_digital

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Surely they do not mean to suggest that _any_ of these inductors form a transformer, intentionally or otherwise?

[​IMG]

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The polarity dot indicates which way the winding is wound. No, it doesn't mean these are transformers. Transformers have at least two windings on a core. Some of these symbols are just habits or idiosyncratic behaviors a draftsman might have. My sister made some truly unreadable schematics because she was a drafts person, not an engineer. I probably do some stuff you would call weird, just because I started in the 1960's. Schematics are made in many different countries and use many different, "standards". You're going to meet a lot more strange symbols in the next few years.

3. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    I suspect not; more likely, just a careless choice of inductor symbol when drawing the schematic. Oddly, one of the inductors, the 1.95 mH inductor second from the left in the group of four in the upper right hand corner of the schematic, does NOT have a polarity dot.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    As others have said, the inductors are probably not coupled. However, the dashed box around each set may imply otherwise.

Can you provide a link to the original?

John

5. donovan_digital

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 2, 2013
  6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    That is normal marking for dual/triple reactor chokes, triple as used in VFD both supply and motor line.
    [​IMG]
    Max.

7. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    There can be mutual inductance and the dots indicate phasing. In the upper right, the opposite phasing of the one transformer can affect the other three.

I would not discount that to poor draftsmen, as those are typically reviewed and approved by an engineer, somewhere in the scheme of things.