why do people do what they do ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mathematics!, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Is it because of interest , people's pressure , paying the bills and living a standard way of life.

i.e what is the point of conforming to the standard way of living

Most people I think get confused on peoples work habits and the way they life there life.
    And people nice ness and the way the percieve them.... and the list goes on and on..

essentially there is no true definition of what is good and bad or who is nice or not... it is just based on contexted
    And human believe.

And to some extent humans don't have full control of there believe's or perceptions or how they are wired to some extent.

So who should judge who in this crazy world :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    You seem to love the philosophical questions, don't you? :)

There are many, many reasons people do what they do. It ranges from a person's preconceived notions about what life should look like(i.e. "what did my parents do?"), what they want it to(i.e. "what kind of life do I want?"), and what's feasible given the life I have(i.e. "Can a 13 year old Vietnamese girl become president of the United States(no)) and each of those influenced by a million other things.

Now, those are primarily circumstantial factors, and do not reflect a person's character traits. Society shapes us, as such, we are constantly trained to follow the norm. Are not children teased by their peers for standing out?

We are a competitive breed. We all want to be doing better than other people, but, in order to do so, we all must agree on what a person's worth is based on. That is dictated by society and our willingness to conform to that standard.

Some would argue that genetics have a role to play, but that's a debate in and of itself:)

I can type all day on this subject, but I'm afraid I don't have the time, so this will have to do...

3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    How do you know that your perception of the world is not the deranged ravings of a lunatic? Perhaps you are sitting in a pool of your own excrement in a insane asylum somewhere?

Be nice to crazy people. You may be crazier than they.:)

shortbus likes this.
  4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I believe that there is no such thing as right or wrong.
    We will all return to atoms one day.

What really matters is while you are here can you honestly say that you brought joy and happiness to another soul or sorrow, misery and pain?

shortbus and absf like this.
  5. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    I'd agree to that. There is no absolute right or absolute wrong. Right or wrong are just relative.

If majority of people are doing the wrong thing, we would call that the right thing.

Allen

6. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Like your believes
    especially
    :) ofcourse competitive for what causes ? That is in itself not the same for different people which makes believes and goals a chicken or egg thing

7. monster_catfish

Mar 17, 2011
    I would imagine that there as many reasons that could be adduced to behavior motivation as there are people on earth.

While some individuals devote their productive years to providing for their loved ones and hopefully making the planet a better place, others apply their creativity to pillage, deception, fraud and yes, murder, whereby such specimens only attain true contentment when their endeavors cause varying degrees of misery or harm to others.

8. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  9. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    You are normal ,your questions are stange....I guess you plan it that way.

You like to pull strings ,like you don't know anything. I thought that was my

job on the Forum.

10. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Nope. There is good and evil. That's just a cop out to avoid accountability and taking responsibility.

People do what they do because of free will.

11. Mike33

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 4, 2005
    Right; you can't say there is no absolute good/evil, and then say your mission is to 'bring joy to people' and so on. It doesn't work that way. Ultimately then, at least SOME of your actions would be harmful, whether or not you intended them to be!

In fact, I would advance the idea that many of today's societal problems are the RESULT of rejecting the idea of good/evil, and allowing for a moral relativity when considering such things. If there is no clearly defined "BAD" - you will always be sliding around that boundary, and moving it in closer and closer to the "real" bad. This is why politics is so dirty ;) I'm not speaking about the issues "on top", say civil rights or things of that nature...I mean the "you can't kill people" level; core values.

So, for 1,000's of years, people do what they do within the confines of what their society says the absolute GOOD and BAD are. For some societies, religion played that role. In others, the "village elders" or wise folk. Doesn't really matter, as long as it 'gets done' in a way that works. Most, but not all, societies share those common core values (no murder and so on).

People have been asking this forever, by the way. There's no ACTUAL answer, except that as social beings, humans need a way to interface with each other that causes least harm and which also doesn't breed too much envy/resentment 'down the road'. So we've 'agreed' on the social contract that we have. If too many abandon it, too fast, you have breakdown, and then the once-orderly becomes chaos and what I'd describe as absolute evil/bad! 1930's Germany is a great example. Promises of a whole 'new world order' led almost immediately to the crushing of endless 'taboos' and mores, ending in the deaths of millions. Society is a balancing act, my friend :)

12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I'll disagree with that statement, while the law of unintended consequences apply, it is possible to improve someones quality of life while not degrading others. Simple kindness and respect go a long way.

It is like common sense though, it isn't that common.

shortbus likes this.
  13. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Good has no definition without evil. Light could not be defined without darkness.

As for politics: it has simply degraded to the point where the participants have a large "bypass switch" in their brains that allows them to switch off any conscience they have while participating (assuming they have a conscience at all).

They justify it by telling themselves that the small evils they do accomplish some objective that serves the greater good.

Or they claim that since the "other side" is so evil, the only effective way they can compete is to be more evil.... see "Karl Rove" and understand what I mean.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  14. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    No, there is no EXACT answer. The basis of all moral relativism is a grossly defective non sequitur which goes as follows:

There is no way to exactly define good and evil in such a way that all will agree.

That being the case, that proves that good and evil can not be defined.

Since they can not be defined, it proves there is no such thing as good and evil.

15. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    Hello folks,

I am totally beginner to this subject.

Look at these sites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hot-thought/201101/how-free-is-your-will
    It somewhat states that what we do is just the reaction we make to stimulus we encounter.

If that is true, then we can not be held responsible by our action. Because we just responded to certain stimulus and we do not have free will, NO CHOICE but to react.

Another,

We may like Electronics because it fulfills our curiosity [intrisic. motivation]. So we do not have free will, we like it because of our curiosity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism

16. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    That is of course you believe maslow is correct.
    Just like if you believe newton or einstien theory is correct :cool:

maybe it needs more generality or is just a special cases for something bigger

17. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A quote...

If you kill a person it is a tragedy, if you kill a million it is a statistic.

I believe Stalin said this, but am not sure.

Thing is, good and evil do exist, and in the extremes they aren't hard to tell apart. There are grey areas, which I am seeing used to say there is no such thing. I have had my say, take it or leave it.

18. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Alcohol and water exist, separately they are easy to tell apart. When mixed, it would be difficult to "tell them apart" in fact impossible to tell by looking that there are separate elements in the mix. It would also be difficult to separate them.

I guess it follows that alcohol and water are the same and there is no difference....

19. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008

there is alot of grey area's which are good and bad in context

anyway thanks for your guys/girls thoughts have a merry x-mas

20. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Its Christmas time, its the right time to teach you how to ring a bell.

Merry Christmas......Loosewire