why do my pc always re-start

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by desdicado, Jan 15, 2009.

1. desdicado

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 8, 2008
    my pc in the house always restarts by its self when its loading window, can someone please help me thanks......
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Does it every boot all the way up? What version of Windows? Are you on a high speed connection to the internet, and, if so, what antivirus software do you run? Do you use file sharing sites?
  3. Bear_2759

May 23, 2008
    this is my day job, so I can help out here with confidence.:D..

a few questions,

1. as beenthere asked what version of windows are you using?
    2. how far through the startup process do you get? eg does it get to window's logo then restart?
    3. is it consistent? eg every time, random, or after the PC has been running for a short period of time(5min or so)
    4. how much do you know about PC's? (this will help with how I word my instructions;))
    5. how old is the PC?
    6. most importantly, do you get an error before it restarts?

this can quite often happen with the following two scenarios

1. corrupt files used for boot process (most likely)
    2. dead (or dying) motherboard, most often "popped" capacitors
    3. dead CPU fan, or old thermal paste (to draw heat away from CPU)

while there are other thing's that can cause this there is a 95% chance it is 1 which can be fixed with a few minutes of work.
  4. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
    Try to use safe mode to boot. Thats the first thing to check. If its still so, then you have to think....
  5. gregdevid

Feb 4, 2009
    There are many reason related to your pc problem,first check smps fan of your pc, cpu fan and then reinstall your pc ram.
  6. triggernum5

May 4, 2008
    Those are steps you take when the event isn't occurring at the same point, and before the pc could be overheated..
    We need 'detailed' answers to the questions already asked before its possible to solve..
    Except I think I may have experienced the exact problem before with XP Home.. It was rebooting about when the tray icons finished loading.. Trying to remember if a solved that one, or if I just ended up wiping it..
    Another question, is it rebooting instantly, or does xp pop up that death countdown?
  7. hkj

May 25, 2009
    clear bios and use default settings
  8. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Check if the fan of the processor and the power supply are working otherwise the CPU or power supply gets hot and shuts down. Also, if the computer is old, switch off the outlet and remove the heatsink of the CPU to clean it. Dust on the heatsink prevents the CPU to cool down properly.
  9. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    If all fails...check the mobo and PSU for bulging capacitors.

10. Jolly

Jun 11, 2009
    format ur pc ones.... but make sure to take back up of important data...
  11. mkbutan

Sep 30, 2008
    do your computer Cabernet have the temp.sensor in it if thear then pl ck the same or remove it.
    pl let us know till what point your sys. boots
    what is the ver. of your windows
    what was the last programs or H/W you have instated on the sys.
  12. mkbutan

Sep 30, 2008
    to run the a/v you need to boot the sys with cd/dvd of a/v
    i am using quickheal total security 2009.
    but i think your problem can be solve by replacing your sys. ram