Why car engine lags when AC is switched ON?

Do you found the same situation?

• Total voters

Lanz

Joined Oct 30, 2008
My car engine lags when i switch ON the AC.The RPM drop a bit.My car was quite old but i found the same situation in modern cars also.Except on modern cars,the RPM will be adjusted to normal by ECU.I know that when i switch ON the AC,the clutch at the compressor works.But i wonder whats the relationship with the engine lagging?Does the compressor drains a lot of current from the battery?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You'll always see a decrease in performance and fuel economy when you engage the A/C compressor. As Paulo540 noted, it increases the drag on the engine. Some systems increase the power output to compensate, older systems do not.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If it is a problem, you should take your car to a service station. Your AC is driven by belt drive. It will not drain much battery power. But the energy needed to drive the compressor is taken from the engine, hence the increased load on the motor.

Lanz

Joined Oct 30, 2008
You'll always see a decrease in performance and fuel economy when you engage the A/C compressor.
Yup,i noticed that.

Turn off the A/C, roll down the windows.
Yes,i always do that

And my ear cnt bare with the wind sound came from outside when the windows are rolled down especially during long driving.
How when its raining?
If you nvr ON your AC,then the windshield will be covered with condensed vapor.

thyristor

Joined Dec 27, 2009
I have twin alternators on my diesel-engined boat which are electronically controlled to kick in a couple of minutes after starting to allow the engine to warm a little first.

They will deliver 100A initially at say 14v so that's 2HP. However, alternators are only about 50% efficient so the load on the engine is actually 4HP. One definitely hears the change in engine note as they activate.

This is more of an issue with smaller engines. Air con compressors don't take so much of a bite out of bigger engines as the extra load is relatively insignificant compared to the normal load imposed from lifting the valves and piston compression of the fuel/air mix.

bluebrakes

Joined Oct 17, 2009
air con is driven via belt directly from engine. An electronic clutch engages the AC when button is pressed.

The compressor has to compress tetra floura ethane (modern alternative) gas. typically 220PSI on high side.

On a small engine with not much engine torque, the lack in performance is very noticable.

I've got an Audi 2.7 V6 S4. Unless your ragging it, you don't really notice any difference at all. Only fuel consumption.

Air con shouldn't affect battery voltage at all. It may require a few amps for the clutch but that's it.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Air con shouldn't affect battery voltage at all. It may require a few amps for the clutch but that's it.
Somewhat wrong then using AC you must have the blower on. And the blower draw more current than the clutch. But anyway in a car with a functioning electrical system this should not be problem. As the car generator will generate the needed energy.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The tiny car barely has enough power with the air conditioning turned off to move because its engine is only 1.1l like a North American lawn mower.
When the air conditioning is turned on then you know what happens.

Attachments