Why all my conversations include what and huh?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
24 to 34 db? Ouch! You're starting to lose consonants. (or finishing!)
So am I.
However, I find these sentences seem to work:
"Please repeat yourself."
"If you talk to my back while I'm walking away, I can't understand your words."
"I can't hear you from 3 rooms away."
"Please slow down. Old people don't adapt to accents that quickly."
Truth is, several children, born and raised in my neighborhood, talk so fast that I can't decipher their chattering.
That's OK. I can remember when I tended to chatter so quickly.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Now it has me wondering what music sounds like. Guess I need a big treble booster along with the amp.:eek:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You're probably joking. An extra 24 db at 4k will melt a lot of tweeters, and I don't think you can buy an equalizer that will do 34 db at 8k.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There are some people, both male and female, who I find easy to understand. Yes, I have a high frequency loss. However, I attribute the difference between those I understand and those I don't to the "cell phone affect." We have all seen them. Those who seem to spend their life mumbling in a cell phone to whomever. Their jaw never moves, but more important, they don't move their lips, and they don't move their tongues. Maybe that is because the multiple piercings make it difficult.

Anyway, I ask them to slow down and to enunciate their words. I also make a point of complimenting customer service agents -- both male and female -- who speak clearly. It is really not that hard to do.

John

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
You're probably joking. An extra 24 db at 4k will melt a lot of tweeters, and I don't think you can buy an equalizer that will do 34 db at 8k.
I'm thinking earbuds. Then everyone will think I just listening to my MP3 player or whatever it is now days.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Listen Guys (sorry about the pun) but, what was on your head when you did this test?? A set of $6 walmart specials, or a $100 pair of Koss 4aa. Your sound card has a lot to do with it also. What equalization did you have selected for your playback? It all adds up, or down, to how bad us old farts hear. Has any of you missed the dinner bell? I rest my case.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Alright, I see RonV as having excellent hearing ....

I know the cause of mine, and I guess I should get down to the VA and get me some hearing aids .... to bring me up to the deaf stage vice the "can you hear me now" stage. Sometimes a loss of hearing is a blessing. :D

Attachments

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi ron,
I guess my hearing is not so bad considering I am 83 next birthday and suffer from tinnitus.
The constant 'whistle' I hear is around 500Hz, so I suppose thats why have that dip at around 500Hz.

E.
I damaged my ears about 30 years ago when working on a SMPS.
My ears made a loud cracking sound and I have tinnitus ever since, so take care when working on faulty high powered SMPS.:(

Attachments

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I damaged my ears from ...

Listening for HF transmissions while on watch. The receiver had lot's of "noise" from both the Loran A and Loran C transmitters.
Repairing an ultrasonic tank.
Working in and around a noisy environments with no ear protection. Pre-OSHA days when the damage was done. My hearing test in the mid 70's reflected the loss, while I was still on active duty.

Married men experience a type of hearing loss over the length of the marriage. It is called selective hearing.

Example:
"Did you hear that? No dear, I was focused on this news broadcast."

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Married men experience a type of hearing loss over the length of the marriage. It is called selective hearing.

Example:
"Did you hear that? No dear, I was focused on this news broadcast."
My wife has to grab my face and hold it staring into my eyes; I tell her if you don't have my complete attention it's not getting through. I'll even answer yes dear to stuff.

I have the Moderate hearing loss; however my brother and dad have really bad loss. My Dad's old age at 87 say's huh? even though he can hear you; he's been doing that for years?

Pete and Re-pete are in a boat "Pete fell out" who was left? ...................... Huh?