Why 60 hertz or 50hertz

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by donskiter, Dec 5, 2006.

1. donskiter

Thread Starter Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Hello everyone...

Good day. Im noticed some devices like motors, appliances or any electronic devices used different rated of hertz liked our TV used 60 hertz some TV used 50 Hz others rated 50~60. I know that every countries have there own standard of hertz...My question is there any effect with the performance of a motor or any kind of electronic devices if they used with different rate of hertz. Is the rate of hertz has effect the design, size of the wire and number of turns of wire..etc.. when creating a new electronic devices...

2. Gadget

Distinguished Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Anything with a synchronous motor or uses the mains frequency as a reference (ie some digital clocks) will work incorrectly with the wrong mains frequency.
    Most transformers work just fine at either 50 or 60 hertz.
    Any AC motor must be monitored to check it doesnt run too hot at the wrong frequency (speed), and that the speed is still OK for the job it is being used for.
  3. Papabravo

Feb 24, 2006
    I don't know about 50-60Hz., but I do know why aircraft power systems run at 400 Hz. One word - weight.
  4. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    An explanation of some of the issues relating to spped control with AC motors is covered in Volume 2:Chapter 13 of the on-line textbook:

I will need to chase up why this chapter has not been added to AAC.

5. wireaddict

Nov 1, 2006
    Because some countries use 50 Hz and others use 60, most AC devices specify which frequency they're rated for, including both. AC induction and synchronous motors are frequency-dependant; the speed [rev/min]=120 X freq./the no. of poles. TVs, monitors and other devices which use power line frequency for sync and timing functions instead of internal crystal oscillators are likewise frequency-dependant.