Who needs a Stripper?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by killivolt, May 13, 2015.

1. killivolt

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 10, 2010
    No, it's not what your thinking or is it?

Last Friday I get an e-mail and In the subject line it reads " Who Needs a Stripper?"

It's a familiar name; from one of our vendors; a cable company. So,I ignore it right; thinking just a catchy way to support an advert. So, you wanna sell a wire stripper; big deal.

I get to work on Monday and another e-mail from them with an apology in the subject line reads: " Our Sincere Apology"

Ok; now you have my attention? I go and open the e-mail to see why it was so offensive.
    There in front of me is a picture of legs with fishnet stockings and heals with the caption

"No stripping required with SSF Fiber"

Since they got me to look at the e-mail I begin to wonder if it was all intended and there was no reason for the second e-mail but to draw my interest.

kv

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    cmartinez likes this.
  2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I'm positive that company thought it was all in good fun (and they should).. sent out the email... and some overly religious loser complained so they had to release the second email.

The same loser probably complained about the "leg lamp" in the A Christmas Story movie.

killivolt likes this.
  3. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    My first thought seeing the image was I get it; then wonder if someone might get fired over it. But, this morning I thought while drafting this Thread did I realized; maybe? and just a maybe. It was a brilliant marketing strategy that was edgy. The second e-mail was the hook not the first.

Most times I just Search those e-mails and delete them all at once. Never to be opened; unless I'm in correspondence on parts or other. As soon as I see "Marketing Dept" it gets deleted.

kv

Edit: Truth is I would have never known about SSF Fiber Cable without seeing that advert.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Must we have a new bigotry to replace the old?

5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Yes we must :D
    At least mine isn't ruining all the fun for everyone else..

In an effort to state my feelings on the subject, I realize I may have offended some of our religious losers.
    Please note that this was not my intent and I sincerely apologize for any offense this comment hay have caused.

6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    According to an article on /., their numbers are declining in favor of the nones.
    http://news.slashdot.org/story/15/05/13/0224209/religious-affiliation-shrinking-in-the-us
    Pretty soon we won't have to worry about offending them at all.

7. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Hallelujah..
    Can you tell I'm one of the 22.8% :cool:
    <--No belief in any religion here..

The only benefit I find in religion is that there are NO lines at the grocery store on Sunday morning.. ;)

panic mode likes this.
  8. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I had no idea!

9. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    See you were specific on who you may have offended.

I for one prefer to toss out generalized insults with no real target audience like for instance aiming at the overly opinionated halfwit loser crowd and see who takes it as being aimed at them. ;)

I may be not calling anyone in particular an overly opinionated halfwit looser but it's always interesting when someone pops up all offended by it which to me at that point gives me reason to believe that they apparently see themselves as being an overly opinionated halfwit loser. :D

shortbus likes this.
  10. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Religion is simply a belief system, and everyone has a belief system. The only question is what or who one religiously believes.

killivolt likes this.
  11. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Seems odd; you should say that? Made me think I was a target of such information; when you think about it and dig down. We ( A portion of the population) just get filled with other systems of information and no one is capable of defining their own beliefs.

I thought I would just delete an e-mail; only to find it's why the people who created the e-mail make far more than me.

kv

12. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I'm religious... (so crucify me, what the heck) but I didn't find the ad offensive... rather amusing btw, but, truth being told, also a little stupid, and even sexists if you ask me...
    On the other hand... I remember a mini series in the Discovery Channel produced by Arthur C Clark, in which the show appeared to promote supernatural crap, witchcraft and zombies and stuff like that.. and it always ended up with a rational explanation... like scooby doo and his gang.... loved that show (not scooby doo... but ACC's)... it always used colorful titles and then made science explain what really happened in the end.

killivolt likes this.
  13. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    À la the 'New Coke' campaign (To wit: 'blunder'-driven publicity...) ;)

Best regards
    HP

14. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Anyone offended by this surely did not grow up in the era of the Rigid Tool calandar.

Oh how I miss those. <sigh>

(If you missed them, think of the Tool Time ladies, but far prettier.)

shortbus likes this.
  15. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Offended???? How can anyone possibly be offended by this?:

Capture.JPG

ErnieM likes this.
  16. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Ok @cmartinez you win! I don't 'get' the import of the image!?:confused:

By no reach of imagination nor image manipulation might I descry an electrical insulation removal tool --- A pressure washer or pneumatic power tool seems plausible, howbeit the apparent absence of interconnecting line{s} from the unit held in the presenter's hand to the 'base' (lower right background) is curious? --- Perhaps the 'base' is some manner of electrical charging system? --- And where is the implied potential for offense??? Either I've overlooked something --OR-- this makes two you owe me! ;););) :)

Dazed and confused (With apologies to Jimi H.)
    HP:)

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    cmartinez likes this.
  17. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Hendrix? That was a Zeppelin song.

Sinus23 and Hypatia's Protege like this.
  18. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I guess you're going to have to put a second one in my tab ... and btw, maybe your confusion will clear a bit if you stare intently at the image for a couple of minutes... although you might end up feeling even more dazed... Sometimes you win one and you lose one ;)

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  19. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I've viewed that image (for both detail and scope) for at least 45 minutes in my, as it turns out, vain attempt to 'decode' its relevance -- the sole result being onset of ophthalmic migraine:mad: --- I'm guessing location is the key? Perhaps if I were au fait with skylines?...

Nah! --- The post wasn't directed at me -- My sub-par clairvoyance is no fault of yours ;) --- Tho' I'm bound to say you got me fair and square -- once 'caught' by a puzzle something like OCD sets in --- I'll be working on that one in my sleep!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up! :) ---- I seem to have fallen into the infelicitous 'habit' of ascribing authorship to 'cover artists' -- all the same Hendrix vs Trower Re: 'Bridge of Sighs':eek::rolleyes:

Best regards

shortbus and cmartinez like this.
  20. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    @cmartinez

Ok, as per your suggestion, I've taken a few minutes to regard the image with a 'neutral eye', as it were --- Impressions heretofore missed include:

1) A three place wind generator rotor (upper right)
    2) A distinctive, albeit unidentified, spire (upper left)
    3) A ludicrously over-heavy pool guard-rail (anchor) chain
    4) An apparent disk light source (immediately above the presenter's head) perhaps a photographic artifact or daylight-visible full-phase moon...?

Am I getting 'warm'? o_O

With obsessive regards