Who knows about available surveillance cameras?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A customer needs a surveillance camera. If I could have anything I want, it would be battery operated, have motion detection ability, and use the local wi-fi to post a video on a computer inside the house or a website to be accessed later.

What's available in retail version and how close can I get to this magical thing I have described?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
A customer needs a surveillance camera. If I could have anything I want, it would be battery operated, have motion detection ability, and use the local wi-fi to post a video on a computer inside the house or a website to be accessed later.

What's available in retail version and how close can I get to this magical thing I have described?
I don't have any hands-on experience, but coincidentally, I have been looking into the subject. There seem to be tons of choices available. Here's a starting point with lots of choices. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...x=fosca,electronics&rh=i:electronics,k:foscam

Sorry, if it's not helpful.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Check out Costco. I saw some systems in the store with night vision, sine with motion activation, and some with internet connectivity to view feeds remotely. Not sure if any of them had all of those features.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It looks like, "battery operated" is not going to happen. They need too much power for the IR LEDs to make batteries practical.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Batteries are not an absolute requirement. I'll just have to drill a hole for a power wire.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
According to the search option on the web page in the first link, their prices start at $301. Not my fault that they have a crappy search engine.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hola No 12

Most probably you have much more experience than me. I was involved, many years ago in the adjustment of the iris / focus and the more mundane cleaning of the lens protection of several cameras.

Given they were located well high in the car deck (or similar) of a ferry, any of those operation was a problem. Iris adjustment had to be done, no very often but the access to it was horrible.

Maybe that, nowadays, lost relevance.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think wireless IP is the right phrase. The objective would be to identify the visitor in a matter of several seconds. Streaming video would be excellent if the quality is good, but a photo every few seconds would be as effective. One important feature is motion activation because this camera like device will monitor a dead space and no operator will be on duty. A recording of the visit must be sent to some method of storage. I'm assuming a file on a computer that is on the same wi-fi router. If that isn't possible, a frame every second or two for maybe 10 hours to be examined if there is evidence of a visitor during the night. That would make a video 5 to 10 minutes in length. Easily small enough to examine on the few occasions it needs to be examined.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Well, if all of that can be had for 100 bucks, I'd be interested in knowing too. I think it could be put together for around 200 bucks, if you already have some of the componets around (eg. an unused PC) But you might have to settle for wired connection from the camera to the recorder.

There are also cams with the web server embedded and connects directly to the internet.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I guess you have already decided against battery power, but if you are still considering, it would seem possible to leave the IR LEDs off unless there is movement, which could be detected by a common IR sensor, which would turn the LEDs on. Maybe even the camera would be off until there is movement. Just a thought.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
My holiday project is to get some Z-modo wireless IP cams up. I bought them on a whim and kind of wish I hadn't. These were sub $100 units but 720P HD, motion capture, microSD local storage, IR night vision etc. What could go wrong? Plenty so far. My experience is that I wish I had read the negative reviews before springing..

The software/firmware seems to be a work in progress. I can get one to work over a wired link but not wireless. The latest is that the firmware in the camera won't take a long enough passphrase for my WPA-PSK. Lots of other issues that are slowly being resolved... Eventually the viewing software may work as well. Currently, I can set an impressive array of parameters for each camera. They just don't do anything.

To be fair, some of the negative reviews stuck on points that were resolved by hitting the manufacturer's website FAQ but I share many of the other complaints. Not worth it so far..

Costco has a 2X Samsung setup for ~150.00 that looked OK until reading the reviews on them.. kind of the same thing..

I wish I had sprung for better ones but it looks like they start in the 300/400 buck range for each point. Maybe that's just what it costs.

+1 to tracecom for looking at the Amazon reviews. Wish I had.. YMMV

Last edited: