Who else has ever placed a component backward in designer only to find out to late

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by spinnaker, Jan 15, 2012.

  1. spinnaker

    Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 29, 2009
    4,866
    988
    So I create a custom component for an SD socket. Got the board all designed. Got it all transferred using toner method (after several tries). Finally everything looked beautiful. Everything seemed like all was going to work.

    Got the board all etched. Probably the best results to date. I go to place the SD socket and find I placed it backward!!!!!:mad:

    What I did not realize is that since it is surface mount I needed to design the component as it is mounted from the circuit side of a single sided PCB. :)

    I doubt this board can be salvaged. It is already going to be hard enough soldering it as surface mount let alone trying to drill small holes and running wires through the holes.

    I guess it could have been worse, It is just a small daughter board.
     
  2. steveb

    Senior Member

    Jul 3, 2008
    2,433
    469
    About 90 percent of us have done that at least once. The other 10 percent are liars.
     
  3. spinnaker

    Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 29, 2009
    4,866
    988
    :D:D:D:D


    Now I feel a little better. :)

    But only a little. :mad:
     
  4. kubeek

    AAC Fanatic!

    Sep 20, 2005
    4,670
    804
    Next time you might wanna try printing it out and placing the components on paper first :)
    I hope I don´t make the same mistake next month when I´ll be sending boards to fab for production :D
     
  5. spinnaker

    Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 29, 2009
    4,866
    988
    That is what I did. But I printed the mirror image so everything looked good. What I should have done was print the mirror of the mirror. :)
     
  6. MrChips

    Moderator

    Oct 2, 2009
    12,420
    3,355
    Yep. I once made a PCB with a 2 x 22 gold plated edge connector and got all the data lines in reverse order. Had to cut the traces and jumper them.
     
  7. Lundwall_Paul

    Member

    Oct 18, 2011
    220
    19
    I did the mirror image once using Mentor Graphics, thankfully it was caught by a senior engineer before it was too late.
     
Loading...