Who are you?

bipin

Joined Mar 21, 2004
Hi everyone,
I am Bipin(M/25) from India.
Like all of you, me too love electronics. I have been playing arround with electronics and mechanical things from my childhood.
Now I am working in an engineering firm as a power conversion engineer.

its a wonderful place with wonderful people.

regards
Bipin

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi bipin,

I merged your topic into this one just for tidyness, hope you don't mind. :)

Which firm do you work for? Power engineering is certainly the game to be in at the moment (particularly here in the UK) because of a shortage of skills. Enjoy the forums :)

bipin

Joined Mar 21, 2004
hi dave,
Thanks alot for merging it, infact i was trying to merge it but couldnot delete the one which i created. now it is fantastic.
I was working for siemens medical solutions-india as a service engineer and then quit the job and joined firm named enercon for an r&d job. check out www.enercon.co.in
thanks once again.
bipin

Harlan

Joined Feb 26, 2004
WOW! Things have really grown here, and looking really good too.
I wanted to get a post to everyone on my abscence here, and to see how things were flying. As soon as I am able I will be back again full time, and am very very pleased to see all the ideas floating around int he transformer project and so many others now. I am hoping things will be settled in another month here, so I can get back to my regular life and get my rear in here to create all kinds of confusion for everyone!!! So many projects in my mind and so much to play with, just have to find that time to sit down to fun things here.
Keep up the great mind sharing folks!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will be back ASAP,
Harlan :)

qtc3

Joined Apr 24, 2004
I found the site just today (yes, you should have put 'by accident' in the poll ;) ).
I'm just a resistor in the circuit of life, though I aspire to transistor status.
I study electronics in my off time, at the rate I'm going I might be an engineer by the time I am 80... Time and money are not cooperating with my plans, unfortunately. I enjoy designing logic systems, and am stubbornly refusing to use microprocessors instead of a bunch of gates (though the complexity of future projects is becoming a bit daunting). After my last class I decided I would NEVER test all those darn 74XXXX chips by hand again, so my current project is a portable (no microprocessor, of course) logic gate tester. I also build battery powered guitar amps and effects so I can play where those acoustic guys get to play (nothing like jamming in a park!). I have the bad habit of ripping old electronic stuff apart to make other things with, and so I have the dubious distinction of knowing what an old answering machine speaker sounds like when a guitar is played through it. Another bad habit is using USPS priority mail boxes to house my projects in (their free), but since this is a federal crime I'd rather you not tell the postal (dis)service. ;)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by qtc3@Apr 24 2004, 06:48 AM
I found the site just today (yes, you should have put 'by accident' in the poll ;) ).
I'm just a resistor in the circuit of life, though I aspire to transistor status.
I study electronics in my off time, at the rate I'm going I might be an engineer by the time I am 80... Time and money are not cooperating with my plans, unfortunately. I enjoy designing logic systems, and am stubbornly refusing to use microprocessors instead of a bunch of gates (though the complexity of future projects is becoming a bit daunting). After my last class I decided I would NEVER test all those darn 74XXXX chips by hand again, so my current project is a portable (no microprocessor, of course) logic gate tester. I also build battery powered guitar amps and effects so I can play where those acoustic guys get to play (nothing like jamming in a park!). I have the bad habit of ripping old electronic stuff apart to make other things with, and so I have the dubious distinction of knowing what an old answering machine speaker sounds like when a guitar is played through it. Another bad habit is using USPS priority mail boxes to house my projects in (their free), but since this is a federal crime I'd rather you not tell the postal (dis)service. ;)
Hi qtc3 :)

Believe me your not the only electronic hobbyist on this site, and we have a great range of people of various abilities. Most of all, enjoy the forums ;)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

I go back a bit. Avoided the Army by enlisting in the Navy back in 1967. Spent 2 1/2 years learning electronics and repairing Univac mainframes - CP642A's and B's. Those are models 1206 and 1208. Over 10,000 transistors, by golly!. And the CP-642A had non-standard packaged germanium transistors, plus 32K of core memory.

Spent a few years in industry, and then got on with the no-longer extant Electronic Instrument Lab at the U of MO for 24 years. Repaired and scratch-built a huge variety of research electronics. Had fun with Apples, since they were so easy to make interface boards and write control routines. Also into the Intel side from 5150's on. And the same horrible kludges that were present in DOS and the first XT's haunt us still. Still think that the editor in QuickBasic 4.5 was the best ever.

Worked with vacuum tubes, even. Wrote my first programs before we knew that there were assemblers. Things have been interesting.

I am Masters student at the University of South Florida. My current research includes building MEMS sensors and microfab. Electronics is a hobby. I luv Digital Electronics. Analog's not my forte !!!!

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I live in Argentina, am 57 yo, former seagoing Master in various kind of merchant ships, now working mostly as Supercargo (planning and supervising the loading of big vessels, most of the times with steel cargoes. We talk always lots of thousands of tons, here.)

Electronics is my hobby and in the last years I started to increase my real hands on experience by doing more, including microprocessors.

I even dare to have a site talking about the hobby:
cablemodem.fibertel.com.ar/atferrari.

What I lack is time to devote to this hobby.

In my scale of good things in life it comes second immediately after sex.;-) (Perhaps, that's why I do so little..)

Nice forum

Agustín Tomás

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Welcome one by one.....

.....beenthere, a welcome member of the forums, not surprised to see your practical background in the Navy. You really have seen electronics in its rawest form!!!! :p

.....hi shreyas_bhat, a fellow Master, hope you enjoy the forums :D

.....hi nanobyte, likewise hope you enjoy the forums :D

.....atferrari, interesting bio, glad you enjoy electronics as a hobby, and glad you enjoy the forums. I agree with the idea of electroniucs second after sex - even though electrical engineers are viewed as emotionless in this respect - we shall show em!! :p

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi Dave,

Not as bad as all that. Some of the germanium transistors had the leads connected by indium solder internally, so we had to solder them with heat sinks on the leads. But most vacuum tubes were replaced, except in our Gersch Complex Ratio Bridge. Thanks to a gundecking cal lab, we went to war with a Radio Shack lifetime guaranteed 12AX6 helping out.

You have to get into a piece of equipment labelled XN-1, S/N 1 to really experience electron pushing at its best. Try IBM's first disk pack machine with the world's first switched power supply. Too bad about those nasty old DV/DT problems with SCR's.

Try to imagine a Data Products DP-5045 disk file turning 32 33" disks with a 5 horse motor. It might have managed a Gbyte. Our USM-705 scopes couldn't even see the ECL logic. We had to get a Tek 765 to troubleshoot it.

Hi, I am doing my Electronics Engineering from NED University of Engineering and Technology. I'll be graduating after about one and a half year.
I come across this site just a couple of days back and found it really interesting , and ofcourse not to forget, loaded with information. I think the the General Electronic chat forum and the Homework Help forum will prove to be the most benificial for me. The Off topic lounge has its own charm!
Hats off to the mod!

vrek

Joined Aug 29, 2004
Hey,
I'm still in highschool. Although Im going into my senior year at a technical school studing Electronic Technology. I will admit that while decent Im not that good at the fabrication end of electronics(atleast not as good as some of my classmates). I really enjoy and excel at the more design and engineer end of electronics. I've done some basic programming with microchips, mostly using the PIC 16C5X. I have alot more experience with C/C++ using the Win 32 API, Perl, HTML, and allittle PHP.

On the electronic prospects, I know digital and analog. I like working with both or either all depending on situations. I like the idea of this forum but it doesn't seem to be that active. Does anyone know a more active electronics forum?

magickarle

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Hi, my nickname is comming from when I was teenager, I was doing some magic tricks to impress girls loll. Karl is part of my first name.
I live in Canada/Montreal
I studied in mechanical engeneering but got sick of crazy formulas so I went into computer science (network security).
I always liked to learn about new things so I come up with personal projects (my latest is doing a fiber carbon helmet HID light headset running on the latest li-poly batteries).
I'm relying alot on reverse engineering (why reinvent the wheel when it already exist. Just make it faster and lighter).
Since I'm little, I'm always putting in pieces anything to know how they work (and sometime it's painfull. Especialy when you touch both 200V capacitor poles without knowing what it is loll!) That time I learned to research what I'm putting in pieces before I actually do it.

See ya later on.

amoc

Joined Sep 7, 2004
>Who am I ?
difficult question, even for me. not quite sure.
A couple details on me:
University: La Salle URL
Date of birth:1983/09/21

I like playing around with electronics and try to design practical appliances for me and others. Colaborate with my dads Solar Panel installacions.
I think that the Future is in automated stuff, people are just getting lazier and lazier by the minute, he who has some cash will buy that thing that makes you breakfast.. (just so that there's no confusion I dont plan on building or perfecting any machine of that type) Im into audio, Video, Mecanics and practical applications all from a point of view of the Electronics.

You could say Im still a noob in Electronics, I just finished my second year of University and failed about half of my subjects this year cause of too much party and skippin class but lesson learnt, Time is never wasted everything always serves a purpose, even if at the moment you cant see it. Those subjects I will be repeating next year. Anyway dont want to bore you.. I got an exam tomorrow and you guys could have been helpfull.. I wish I had found you earlier. Anyway glad I did though I think this page has great potencial. Youll see me around in the Forums, Ill contribute what I can.

Cheers!

cyberhehe

Joined Oct 6, 2004
Watsup everyone, newbie here.

Call me cyber as implied to my nick.

My interest lies on embedded systems, analog and digital electronics circuits. Little I know about RF, but I would love to go into it.

Hi all,

I'm sophomore ECE major at Duke University, NC. I've taken courses in:

Intro to circuit
Signal Processing
Intro to Microelectronics
Integrated Circuits
Intro to digital circuits

As you can see I still have a long way to go before I reach a point where I can design and build my own stuff. Oh well...

Glad to join the community!

fuzzy_logic

vineethbs

Joined Nov 14, 2004
hello guys

details about me :
student .
doing my B.Tech in Electronics & Communications engg.
in India.

love computers , programming , maths.
love to help and wannabe a teacher when i get out of the college.

i find the homework help forums here really gr8.

abt my electronics bkgrnd.
well , am doing a course in electronics but basically am more interested in maths , signal processing and stuff . Not much practical background in electronics , only done some pc intefacing stuff ,power supplies etc in my free time .