White noise in preamplifier

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Is it really noisy, or just that old "transistor" sound (background hiss)? It may take an oscilloscope and some time to run back from the output and see if you can find a clean signal.

One source of white noise in a transistor circuit is a reverse biased junction. Look for the white noise generator in the link to see one - http://www.electricalfun.com/workbenchfun/Unusual_Components_TThomas.aspx

Troubleshooting may be a bit tedious - checking biases with a meter or the like. I did not see voltage values in the power supply or anywhere else, so a good bit of guesswork may be needed to determine proper operation. Make sure the power supply output is clean. Replacing electrolytic filter capacitors can be worthwhile, as they deteriorate with age.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
That will be a pain to chase down without a good scope, even the multitude of website forums dedicated to servicing old equipment such as this are probably going to have the same answer - scope it out.

One chance you do have that has worked in the past is to pick up a can of freeze spray and selectively cool components one by one. When you hit the one that's generating the noise it will probably decrease significantly.

aGpLT

Joined Jan 21, 2010
Ok, i get that i need scope :> Sorry for one thing i forgot to mention, all capacitors are changed (electrolytic). And when i remove timbre block the noise disappears. So the problem is in timbre block.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
If you've leveled it down that far then I'd invest in a can of freeze spray, shouldn't take long to find the offending component.