Which zener and FET to buy

ray242

Joined Nov 27, 2016
Hi, I'm a beginner of electronics and I'm currently working on the discrete semiconductor circuits worksheet on AAC. Many circuits use zener diodes and FETs so which model would you suggest me to buy?

Thanks very much!
Raymond

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Zener diodes have two important specifications (besides others of lesser importance), the zener voltage and wattage handling capability.
You need to select the zener voltage first.

There are a number of considerations when selecting a FET. Firstly, you need to specify N-channel or P-channel. Next you need to know the difference between enhancement mode and depletion mode.

If you want to experiment with a FET, a common FET is a MPF102 which is an N-channel depletion mode FET.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi, I'm a beginner of electronics and I'm currently working on the discrete semiconductor circuits worksheet on AAC. Many circuits use zener diodes and FETs so which model would you suggest me to buy?

Thanks very much!
Raymond
(Assuming you are in the US ...)
Ah, the engineers gave their answers. Now the hobbyist will give his. Zeners? Low voltage. Not more than 30 V. 500 mW or less. Keep an assortment on hand. Transistors? TO-92 types
N-MOSFET, Enhancement Mode. BS170 or 2N7000
P-MOSFET, Enhancement Mode. BS250
NPN, 2N3904 and 2N4401
PNP, 2N3906 and 2N4403
Power transistors, as needed
These will get you by on most things.
Diodes, 1N4148 and 1N4004
Diode, Schottky, 1N6263 for signal diode. 1N5819 for higher current

Don't be in a hurry to buy. Shop around. Get a bunch of catalogs first. Look for sales.
10 of each is a nice quantity if you can afford it.
Breadboard. Multimeter (cheap)
Power supply (5 V or so, 350 to 500 mA, phone charger) or battery pack.

Resistors
Assortment of 1/4 W, 5%, 1 to 10 of all of them.

Capacitors
0.01 uF, 50 V ceramic disc or axial MLC
0.1 uF (same)
(Assortment of others as needed.)

Last edited: