Which way should these capacitors be installed?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by JoeyElectronicsGuy, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeyElectronicsGuy

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Mod edit: snipped image of Transformerless PSU - Please review the Terms of Service. These are not allowed in any form.

Hi all, I'm trying to build this and was wondering two questions:

How do I install the capacitors shown on the device? Which way should the be installed (polarity)?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2016
  2. Tonyr1084

Sep 24, 2015
    Well, it's hard to tell from the picture, but they don't look like electro-lytic capacitors. IF that's the case then they have no polarity. IF that's the case then you can install them either way.

Not sure of the construction, is that powered by 110 volts AC? I'd be scared as heck to mess with that circuit - especially since you don't have a schematic. All you have is an artist's rendition of what he sees. And his job is to draw pictures, NOT to create schematics from devices he's LOOKING at.

If I were going to build something like this I'd build on a board. Not with flying leads the way the drawing shows. Too many parts that can short to each other. And with 110 VAC coming in - the LAST thing I'd want to do is touch the capacitors after power has been applied to the circuit.

Want some sound advice: Don't build, BUY! IF Radio Shack sells such a thing then I'd opt for purchasing it over building it - especially without a reliable schematic. And no, I would not want to chance a schematic from the drawing. Diode placement can be anybody's guess.

3. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    This is a TRANSFORMERLESS PSU..how many times do you need to be told.

4. Tonyr1084

Sep 24, 2015
    I don't think anyone told me that before. So I guess the answer is "Once."

Wha'd I do to you? Whatever it must have been - sorry.

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    That's a non-isolated, mains-powered circuit and is very dangerous (also discussion of main's powered circuits are not allowed on this Forum).
    If if it doesn't kill you, it can still give you a nasty shock. :eek:
    Do not build that circuit.

Tonyr1084 likes this.
  6. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    A microwave oven has a transformer - the 2kV 1/2A secondary is just as lethal as raw mains, and can jump further.

7. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    You weren't.

joeyelectronicsguy has tried on 3 different threads to get someone to help him hurt himself with this dangerous circuit. :eek:
    Obviously Dodgydave thought he was being too subtle in his previous warnings.

Dodgydave likes this.
  8. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    @tonyr, i was referring to Joey-birdbrain, he's posted this 4 times, and its been closed down the same amount.

9. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    What is it supposed to do?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2016
  10. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello

As the others already told you, transformerless mains powered circuits are not allowed over here
    when I see the same circuit again a ban will follow

Bertus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.