Which transistor?

electro01

Joined Jan 14, 2013
Hi everybody, if I wanted to turn on/off a transistor with a 555 timer to control 12dc @20amps at high speed which transistor do I need to look for? I can't seem to decide.
I've already pulled out all my hair
and chewed off all my fingernails, said my prayers, kicked the dog, drank a beer and beat
the wife. Any suggestions?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Apologize to the dog and the wife (not necessarily in that order) and use a MOSFET.

Is the load grounded or can it float?

As kubeek asked, what is "high speed"?

electro01

Joined Jan 14, 2013
FROM EARLIER POST REGARDING WHICH TRANSISTOR SHOULD I USE:
OK, I BANDAGED UP THE WIFE, GAVE THE DOG SOME WATER AND
DRANK ANOTHER BEER. TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS, I THINK SPEED UP TO 10 CYCLES P SECOND AND YES THE LOAD WOULD BE GROUNDED . YOU SUGGESTED A MOSFET, COULD YOU SUGGEST THE
ONE YOU WOULD CHOOSE?

tHANKS

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
From your other thread, for a grounded load you could use a P-MOSFET rated at about 30-40A and 20V or more. Where are you located so I can suggest an appropriate device and vendor, if you don't know of one.

electro01

Joined Jan 14, 2013
From your other thread, for a grounded load you could use a P-MOSFET rated at about 30-40A and 20V or more. Where are you located so I can suggest an appropriate device and vendor, if you don't know of one.
we live in south central Idaho. I want to thank you for your input..

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
SUP65 P-Channel, 15mΩ@30A@-10Vgs, Logic Level

There's not much for choices for P-Channel in Through Hole TO-220 mounting (rather than surface mount), that one is about $3.
Maybe he can use an n-channel MOSFET. We need to know what the load is, and if high side switching is required, or if low side switching will work.

ETA: Will switch to 1kHz with -10V Vgs, could do 10kHz with -12V Vgs.
I'm curious why you said this. The on resistance between -10V and -12V Vgs is negligible.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The grounded load was post #14, The switching speed, I followed the wrong line in SOA, used the top line, rather than the dotted/angled line downward. Would need 20V Vgs for 10kHz.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
The grounded load was post #14, The switching speed, I followed the wrong line in SOA, used the top line, rather than the dotted/angled line downward. Would need 20V Vgs for 10kHz.
That was post #4, and I missed the comment about the grounded load.
The SOA graph says nothing about Vgs, other than
VGS > minimum VGS at which RDS(on) is specified
:confused:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
You should mention that the transistor will dissipate 36 watts when it's on.
If you are going to make recommendations, you need to think them out first.
I am not sure what you are talking about.

The transistor will not dissipate anything for itself.

The package is well suited for quite more than 36 Watts.

What is your problem?

I use these transistors actually.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The OP is only looking for 10Hz so switching losses are pretty much zero. The one suggested by thatoneguy is a good choice, requiring a fairly small heatsink for the 6W worst case if it was permanently on. 36W for the Fairchild worst case would need a significantly bigger heatsink, maybe also a fan.