Which solvent for removing flux?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It was a very long time ago that I learned to use xylene to remove rosin core flux. I just decided to check here about whether my method is terribly outdated.

Lead-free solders are becoming the standard now. That might change which flux remover is the right thing to do.

So, what's the "standard" nowadays?

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
It was a very long time ago that I learned to use xylene to remove rosin core flux. I just decided to check here about whether my method is terribly outdated.

Lead-free solders are becoming the standard now. That might change which flux remover is the right thing to do.

So, what's the "standard" nowadays?
I've been using denatured alcohol with success.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
There's a thread covering the subject on another forum.
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/repairing-electronics/120816-flux-remover.html

I'll summarize for you. For rosin fluxes (R, RA & RMA) 50% denatured ethanol, 40% isopropyl alcohol and 10% acetone work fairly well.* If you can still get one of the commercial flux removers that contains a chlorinated or fluorinated solvent, they're very effective. Most have been phased out or will be soon.

*Acetone will damage some plastics, notably styrene, ABS and polycarbonate.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yeah I'd call it outdated. The trend is to go with as gentle a solvent as possible. I have good results using isotropy alcohol and elbow grease applied with a small brush for the most stubborn of flux residues.

The current generation of water soluble fluxes are excellent when working with clean PCB and fresh parts.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
IPA (isopropyl alcohol) can be bought from the Walmart or pharmacies either 70% or 96% pure. I go for the 96% stuff myself.

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
A lot of the isopropyl alcohols from the local store have some glycerin in them. I use GC Electronics 10-1507 which is anhydrous-pure, and it works great. I have been using it for years.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
OK. The consensus is ethyl and/or isopropyl alcohol.
Just happen to have a quart of 70% isopropyl.
No problem.
I'll try it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It would be worth your while to either get denatured ethanol or 96% isopropyl. The glycerin in 70% IPA is not good (some brands also use lanolin).

The pure IPA is almost as cheap as rubbing alcohol (70% IPA).