Help Wanted Which soldering iron is best choice

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by PsySc0rpi0n, Oct 13, 2016.

1. PsySc0rpi0n

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
  2. tranzz4md

Apr 10, 2015
    Those are very similar tools, and I have no experience with either of them that I can remember. If you know of either mfr or name brand as being questionable, avoid it, but even cheap off-brands usually work good enough for a while.

Neither one shown is for heavy work, but 25W is larger than what I typically use on printed circuit board work. Still, tip selection is what matters for getting the job done. Personally, I'd buy something like that in person, so I could hold it and see it, but perhaps you don't have that opportunity. I've used different irons in different shops, but my own are Weller, I just stick with them. There's good availability of replacement tips etc.

3. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    I have no experience of either of these irons or the manufacturers (I also have a weller!).
    The second one has a wider range of tips to choose from but they are more expensive too.
    I think, as a first iron, I'd go with the cheaper one. After you've done some soldering you'll discover what's important to you.

4. PsySc0rpi0n

Mar 4, 2014
    But do you guys knows any of these two brands or not even that? I'm also looking at those Wellers!

5. ci139

Jul 11, 2016
    i guess i have 40W adjustable weller with non etchable tip
    the other 50% is what you youse on it

6. PsySc0rpi0n

Mar 4, 2014
    Ok, I might consider a solder station because you all seem reasonably correct!
    But in that case I might also need to increase budget!
    Probably I'll be able to spend about 100€ = $110 = 90£. Ok with maybe +/-30€ = 27£ = $33.
    Between these 3 brands and up to at most maybe 60W/80W and with adjustable temperature, what you guys think I can get??

PS: I prefer to buy within EU to avoid customs problems!

7. ci139

Jul 11, 2016
    i bought my Kyoritsu years ago when it cost me the 3-th of month income (had to keep some diet) - good tools cost - all expensive tools are not good - some are not good for anything - - - about the same sum went to quality hex and torx key-sets - still got all of them with no signs them starting to get tired - over 10y service ! if we do financial calculus then if you'd had to by a new tool every year you'd consider it to be 10x cheaper as buy 10€ iron for 1y - and it further wastes your time and resources needed to get your work done

8. PsySc0rpi0n

Mar 4, 2014
    I see your point... Anyway I'm looking to Ersa I-Con IC1300 Pico for about 144€... It might be a good choice... I'm just wondering about the tips because I can't see it very well due to the image to being big enough to zoom it!

9. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  10. PsySc0rpi0n

Mar 4, 2014
    That one also looks nice!
    I'm also considering offers from Weller!

11. PsySc0rpi0n

Mar 4, 2014
  12. ci139

Jul 11, 2016
    no matter mine's a quality one i got it cheap . . . either it was a welcome price or was year end discount or perhaps they just forgot to add decent markup something between 14...18€ - not a station just the iron

the point is if you already experience you'll know what you going to get/buy - if not - buy something cheaper for starting

13. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I always buy soldering iron brands that will have the tips available for a long time. My son is on his third soldering station because the tips were discontinued. (Actually, the manufacturer disappeared).

Anyhow, I was lying a bit, I said I always buy one that will be around, I bought a Weller. My one and only.