Which plastic drawer storage cabinet do you recommend?

geratheg

Joined Jul 11, 2014

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
The last batch of plastic storage bins I bought was from Lowes. They have two different drawer configurations in the same sized cabinet. They stack well together.

Note: I have never thrown away a storage unit. I still have the first one I ever bought.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I use Plano storage boxes. The company has been around for long enough that whenever I need more, I just go to Dick's or wherever and get them.

Akro-Mils has also been around awhile. Doe the K-Mart product have a brand name? When you need another one in a few years, will the K-Mart version still be around so you can get a matching one?

It is like wearing matching shoes to keep your feet in. It is not required for the function, but I do it.

John

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
FYI if you get the Target "Red Card" shipping is always free, plus an additional 5% off most every item (online or in store).

If you use a debit card then this is basically another link to the same account. I've had one for a few years now, never an issue. If an identity thief got the account all they could do was use it to buy stuff, not suck out my cash. That is simple to dispute and recover.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I've used both types but generally don't like that type of storage though it can be useful in some situations. I use a lot of these. They come in two depths (shallow shown):

http://www.stanleytools.com/default...5R&SDesc=Stanley®+Professional+Organizer

The Stack-On bins are made of styrene and will chip and break. Label adhesive will bond so tightly to the surface that you'll almost never be able to remove a label cleanly once it's been on a while.

Akro bins are made of polpropylene and are slightly flexible so they don't chip easily. Labels stick well but also release easily and cleanly.

In neither type do the dividers for the bins work properly. They're hard to position and always wedge themselves up creating a sneak route for thin materials.

Last edited:

geratheg

Joined Jul 11, 2014
I've used both types but generally don't like that type of storage though it can be useful in some situations. I use a lot of these. They come in two depths (shallow shown):

http://www.stanleytools.com/default...5R&SDesc=Stanley®+Professional+Organizer

The Stack-On bins are made of styrene and will chip and break. Label adhesive will bond so tightly to the surface that you'll almost never be able to remove a label cleanly once it's been on a while.

Akro bins are made of polpropylene and are slightly flexible so they don't chip easily. Labels stick well but also release easily and cleanly.

In neither type do the dividers for the bins work properly. They're hard to position and always wedge themselves up creating a sneak route for thin materials.
Hey what are the dimensions of the compartments? I was looking at the drawer bins because of the bigger dimensions of the bins. For example, would I be able to fit a set of resistors in them, which have pretty long leads?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here's the Plano box I use for through-hole resistors. It is about 1-3/8" thick and has plenty of room for the leads.
IMG_0788.jpg

I find that Plano generally includes more dividers than I want. Then occasionally, I will pool my extra dividers and make a box with a lot of compartments. I use those for small parts like hardware for model airplanes.

One problem with any box that has removable dividers is that the dividers my slip up just a little and parts get stuck under them. When that is a concern, I use a little bead of hot melt on one side of each divider. Goop/E6000 shoe repair (http://www.eclecticproducts.com/e6000_retail.htm) might also work, but takes longer to harden. I would not use either on a styrene box. LPE and polypropylene boxes are fine with hot melt and probably OK with Goop.

John

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The stack-on boxes will warp if you put heavy stuff in them (polypropylene frame with Hdpe drawers). Although flexible, they will never break and very durable.

Arko Mills used to be made of more rigid/heavy duty ABS and plystyrene clear drawers. They are clear and easy to see inside - but they shatter easily. Thy may have changed materials since mine was made - very old.

geratheg

Joined Jul 11, 2014
Here's the Plano box I use for through-hole resistors. It is about 1-3/8" thick and has plenty of room for the leads.
View attachment 71203

I find that Plano generally includes more dividers than I want. Then occasionally, I will pool my extra dividers and make a box with a lot of compartments. I use those for small parts like hardware for model airplanes.

One problem with any box that has removable dividers is that the dividers my slip up just a little and parts get stuck under them. When that is a concern, I use a little bead of hot melt on one side of each divider. Goop/E6000 shoe repair (http://www.eclecticproducts.com/e6000_retail.htm) might also work, but takes longer to harden. I would not use either on a styrene box. LPE and polypropylene boxes are fine with hot melt and probably OK with Goop.

John
I don't know if this guy on ebay has what you have:
http://stores.ebay.com/Zoro-Tools/_i.html?rt=nc&_nkw=plano&_sid=1113381714&_trksid=p4634.m14&_pgn=2

It would help to know which one you're using lol, they all look similar and he doesn't give dimensions of each compartment.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Plano makes a huge assortment of boxes. Is there a Dick's sporting goods near you? Check its fishing section. In reality, the last batch I bought was from Amazon with free S&H.

I like the simple clear latches, as they waste less space; although, I have some of the version with the opaque, colored clips. I see no value in wasting space with a handle.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Interesting...

I use two of the 7-compartment versions for my bread boarding passive components:
http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?PID=721

For the resistor multipliers, that gives me black and brown (two small compartments on the left), then red, orange, and yellow for the center compartments. Upper right is 10^5 and 10^6, and lower right is everything else, like diodes and so forth. When bread boarding, I only need the resistor box and a similar capacitor box plus any special components, like transistors.

Needless to say, my resistors and capacitors have been reused many times. The leads become somewhat kinky. The 5-compartment version is also quite useful.

John