which oscilloscope

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by samjesse, Sep 23, 2008.

1. samjesse

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Hi
    I am in the market for an oscilloscope. all I know is that the dual trace would let you see the input and output (2 circuit) monitor at the same time. but what else do I need to look for? I read something about 4 channel and 2 channel, whats that?

please guide me.

thanks

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Dual trace and 2 channel amount to the same thing. Before we can say much, it would be very helpful to know what the instrument will be used for. Do you need a DSO, or will analog do?

3. samjesse

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I will need it to see voltage wave patterns in primary and secondary circuits on cars, so 12V and few thousands V as well. sensor outputs. frequency patterns. and maybe something else as the need arises.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Don't think this is pushing any particular product, but this one - http://salestores.com/protek60.html - might be a good buy. You will need to run down a high voltage probe if you want to look at ignition stuff.

5. theamber

Jun 13, 2008
    I suggest you to look at portables battery operated oscilloscopes if you are going to be working on cars. You don't need more than 25Mhz bandwidth.
    Try eBay for a Fluke, Owon, or if you want something more try this it halso has a car's code reader:
    http://www.labscopes.com/
    But looks that it is a 5 Mhz by the 25 Megasamples advertised.

6. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Check out the Tektronix TDS2002. A friend had recommended it. Digital, 60 MHz, but I use the FFT function to nearly the 500 MHz Nyquist limit of the 1 GHz sampling rate. I sweated over spending about $1300 (a couple of years ago), and now I think that was the best advice I received in years.

There are other versions in the family (more channels, different bandwidths, different displays) at, of course, different price points. I think the sell-up feather that gives the most bang for the buck is the color display.

7. liitlefan

Sep 24, 2008
    i ecommended it ~~but i think you shoud visit their site ,there are series of product kinda.