Which OS do you use?

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
tried many. Ubuntu seems most similar to windows, but also lacks a lot of stuff that fedora and suse have. tried centos and that so far has been the most confusing GUI in Linux I have worked with so far. (this thread should be in computers and networks)

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Win7-64 Pro here. Had to upgrade from Home Premium so I could get Virtual XP. Some of my older software simply would not run on WIn7-64

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
i tried linux many times, only to always return to what works for me.
at the moment various versions of Win (XP and up).

linux is great idea but despite many distributions and ever growing number of users, linux community is still bunch of ... not helpful folks.

since i just don't have time to work out everything myself, bye bye Linux...

vortmax

Joined Oct 10, 2012
The linux community is very helpful...there is just an expected level of competence. If you ask a question without reading the man page or even doing a simple google search, you will be quickly reprimanded. If you learn to do your homework and seek the wisdom of the elders when you have exhausted all else and know enough to actually debug the problem, you will get more help than you can ever imagine.

I run windows on my main laptop just because linux doesn't like the hardware and I need to use Autocad and some other windows only software that makes it not worth the hassle. I do run a crunch bang VM on it though and have a handful of other machines running everything from Ubuntu to slackware, depending on their purpose. I do prefer linux, but I have never been overwhelmed by any particular window manager. I spend 90% of my time in the shell.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Work laptop: Win7, 64-bit.
Home laptop: Win7, 64-bit, just because it was preinstalled
Home virtual server: Citrix Xen
Home web-server: Ubuntu server 10.4
Home mail-server: Ubuntu server 10.04
Home backup-server: Ubuntu 10.04
Home office/development: Kubuntu 12.10
Home development: Win XP
Home PC osc computer: Win XP
Home threadmill: Kubuntu 12.10

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
So, no Mac users but at least a few that dabble in OSS.

Good to know that open source software has it's place amongst the electronics community.

I swapped from windows 'vista' to Ubuntu a few years ago, I've used Mint, (good Irish software) Kubuntu and Bodhi Linux, but am now a confirmed Archer.

From my trail of Operating systems you may gather that I prefer simplicity above all else. Arch suits me best (at least so far) because all the base install gives you is just that, a base to work from, nothing more than you need to have to get a working system. Obviously this means more effort on your part to install some of the things that people take for granted in an operating system, file managers, desktop environment etc. etc. But at the end of it you understand your system because you built it. You can make it as clunky as you like, or as clean and elegant as it can be. A bit like designing a circuit I suppose.

@panic mode
Community help on forums is the same where-ever you go, one is expected to help oneself before asking for help. Browse this forum for some really amusing replies to questions that could be answered by a simple search engine query.

Thanks all for the replies, I wanted to make it a poll, but this forum doesn't seem to have that feature.

PS. anyone use Geda?