which optocoupler to use

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by pashford, Dec 5, 2009.

1. pashford

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I am a complete beginner so please be gentle. :) I am a hobbyist producing one board for an r/c aircraft. Cost is not really an issue. I have a pic32 that I want to use to control an ESC which in turn will control a brushless dc motor. I will use PWM to control the ESC. The motor is a 55W 7A motor which I will power through the ESC with a 7.4V 2s LiPo battery. The ESC is a 10A model. My understanding is that I should isolate the pic32 from the higher voltage ESC side of the circuit using an optocoupler so I don't fry the uC. Assuming that I am correct in this assumption, can someone tell me which optocoupler I should choose. I am doing a basic breadboard of this setup to learn the ropes, so I was thinking that a DIP IC optocoupler might be the way to go, but as I said I am a complete beginner and so I may be completely wrong in my assumptions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.