Which one is OP.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
In a long thread it can get hard to spot him. Would some kind of indication of an OP on his responds be a terrible idea?

Feel free to ignore or write your opinion on the matter.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The OP is the Original Poster, the person who started a thread.
I would like TS , thread starter, better, but it is not used here.

When you want to find all the posts in a thread, look at the todays posts list and click on the number in replies.
This will give a popup with who posted how many times in the thread.
When you click on the number in that list, the posts from that member will showup.

Bertus

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Thanks Bertus for giving me a quick reply.

I might have been a bit vague. I know what an OP is but thanks for the other tips. The problem which ain't a big problem is that I'm an amateur when it comes to electronics and ain't much a part of any post, but I read most them. I often focus too much on what has been written rather than by who. Which has made me more than once have to go back to the original post to be sure that the reply I was reading was from the OP. Which is why I thought that it wouldn't be a bad idea to make some kind of indication on OPs replies.

Not a big deal. Just my handicap/lack of focus I guess. :)

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Not all members do have an avatar.
With an avatar posts from the same member can be found more easy in a thread.
As you can see I have my cat Toto as avatar.

Bertus

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Hello,

Not all members do have an avatar.
With an avatar posts from the same member can be found more easy in a thread.
As you can see I have my cat Toto as avatar.

Bertus
True. It does make it easier to know who is who at a quick glance.

Tell Toto that I and Fýr(my cat) said hi. :)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
One forum that I frequent has a sort of banner at the top of the post if it is written by the OP. It looks something like this--notice the indicator "Thread Starter" on the far right (this is just an MS paint representation, so please excuse the crudity):

2014-08-02 16_12_32-Which one is OP. - All About Circuits Forum.png

I think the OP was asking if this could be added? I'm not sure how much custom coding the admins here do, if any, but I agree--this would be very useful.

Regards,
Matt

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello Matt,

The forum software is about to be replaced.
(I do not yet know when this will happen).
Perhaps jrap can implement the suggestion in the new software.
jrap has been doing some programming already as you might have noticed on the homepage and eBook pages.

Bertus

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
One forum that I frequent has a sort of banner at the top of the post if it is written by the OP. It looks something like this--notice the indicator "Thread Starter" on the far right (this is just an MS paint representation, so please excuse the crudity):

View attachment 71364

I think the OP was asking if this could be added? I'm not sure how much custom coding the admins here do, if any, but I agree--this would be very useful.

Regards,
Matt
Pretty much yes. But like I said before it ain't a problem just it would make it a bit easier when deep in a thread to know who was the OP.

@Bertus We also like to say hi to Lizzy, Sadie, Iwan, Ukkie and Snoozer. :)

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
@DerStrom8 We also salute the fantastic four. I'm not on my own computer so I do not have any pictures of my cat but I'll deliver :D

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
We had a cat once, an Abyssinian (a gift) -- named Kilo for what she weighted. She was great, smart, and absolutely untrainable. She was very clever. We picked up a stray/abandoned St. Bernard one afternoon on the way home from school. It was suffering heat prostration. She recovered, and for several weeks we (my wife and I) were entertained by the mischievousness of the cat and the docility of the dog. As we were in a very small apartment, we found a good home for the dog.

I am still a dog person. I like being loved. :D

John

Edit: BTW, I like OP in preference to TS. OP is consistent with "New Posts" and so forth. TS has another meaning in American slang.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't dislike cats. I loved Kilo. She was quite loving and cuddly, but when you left her alone, you came home to ripped curtains. I guess I am too insecure and like the overt affection of dogs.

Where I live now, house cats do not do well. There are lots of coyotes. I would not want to keep a cat locked up in a house; although, there are times I wish I had the help. I am thinking of a big dog, like a Golden Retriever with short or clipped hair. We have lots of raccoons and ground hogs in the area. I need a dog that is big, loving, yet smart enough not to mess with a raccoon.

John

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I don't dislike cats. I loved Kilo. She was quite loving and cuddly, but when you left her alone, you came home to ripped curtains. I guess I am too insecure and like the overt affection of dogs.

Where I live now, house cats do not do well. There are lots of coyotes. I would not want to keep a cat locked up in a house; although, there are times I wish I had the help. I am thinking of a big dog, like a Golden Retriever with short or clipped hair. We have lots of raccoons and ground hogs in the area. I need a dog that is big, loving, yet smart enough not to mess with a raccoon.

John
Understood. I used to be a dog person, but always had cats instead. I guess cats have just grown on me, personally, and having the friendliest cats I've ever met helped that along :D

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
CAM00037.jpg

This is Fýr charging the lasers. I had to take this on a phone so it's a bit smaller than I would like but I said would deliver(Better late than never).

He's 6 year old and needed a home or being put under and had been already given a name and we're not going to change that.

Since I've gotten my not so critical idea across. I don't see why it could not become a thread about our pets. Cats,dogs,lizards or spiders.

It would be a bit funny to point those asking about a thread for pets into Feedback and suggestions. ;)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
View attachment 71453

This is Fýr charging the lasers. I had to take this on a phone so it's a bit smaller than I would like but I said would deliver(Better late than never).

He's 6 year old and needed a home or being put under and had been already given a name and we're not going to change that.

Since I've gotten my not so critical idea across. I don't see why it could not become a thread about our pets. Cats,dogs,lizards or spiders.

It would be a bit funny to point those asking about a thread for pets into Feedback and suggestions. ;)
Greetings, Fýr! (I love the name!). He looks a lot like a long-haired version of one of my cats who disappeared some time ago named Artemus (Named after Artemus Gordon, from the Wild Wild West). He was such a friendly cat, and I fear his disappearance was due to the neighbors' unrestrained dog. They would always come into my yard and terrorize my cats.

10392261_103087803036460_8141819_n.jpg

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
I was baby sitting a dog the last weekend and she's been pretty much raised by indoor cats and she did not even look Fýr in the eye while she was here. Then I took her for a walk and she saw a cat outside and she went bonkers.

Short story short. We woke up a baby which was probably not more than 1 years old and we could hear the crying non-stop outside so we walked faster than we had planed (me and Miss dog if someone was wondering) The cat was unharmed

I saw him just last night :cool: