Which method would you pick?

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
Hello,

I am facing a crutial decision. If you are an experienced programmer or a project manager for a big IT/Electronics firm, your feedback would be very appreciated.

Let's say your firm is developping a product with a *similar potential* of sales as the Iphone. However, the product I am talking about is not a phone, its a device which requires a GUI with inputs and outputs and requires RF communications.

That being said, which platform would you pick:

1) Use an off the shelf OS like Windows mobile or android which would legally bind you to certain contractual conditions such as obligatory open source, royalties ect...

OR

2) Build your own kernel and GUI where no obligatory contractual constraints exist

Bear in mind, in either condition, money and man power is not an object!

Your insight is appreciated!

regards

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
IF Open Source is not a consideration, I would go with the commercial product.

A Roll-Your-Own GUI (or OS) has (1) guaranteed bugs, and (2) people who will move on. (2) would not be too bad IF the code is properly done. (BTDT, got the scars!)

--Rich

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
Thanks for your reply Rich,

I have put sooooo much work into rolling up my own Kernel.... I just don't know how others will be open to work with it though????

But seriously, if you know your product has the potential of hhhhuuuuuge success, you mean you still would consider going with an off-the shelf OS and accept the fact that you would be obligated to expose your code to any programmer that demands it ???

The small Kernel I have now uses a simple 6$ PIC with an 8$ Color LCD and and 5$ 8Meg flash (at non volume quantities!). It obviously can't do everything Android or what win mobile can do but by the same token there will be updates and improvements, but atleast you know that it would be yours to keep.

I understand if your product would have the potential of selling 300 peices a year, then yes it would be okay to go for an off-the shelf kernel/OS.... but this is not the case.... it's like as if I would say, let's build an Iphone with Android????? Huh! what would I be thinking if I were Mr. Jobs!!!! God rest his soul!

Confused!
Reagrds
r

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
2) Build your own kernel and GUI where no obligatory contractual constraints exist

Bear in mind, in either condition, money and man power is not an object!
I think a lot depends on the size and scope of your company.
If money and man power is not an issue, I would go with (2) if you have the right type of managers to do this properly. The skill-set is not as important as proper management.

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
>I would go with (2) if you have the right type of managers to do this properly.

Even though it would take longer to do then if you go with #1 instead?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
When you accept third party products you're at their mercy and it takes longer to find and fix someone else's problems.

When you roll your own you're in control.

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
Hi MrChips,

Thanks for your replies. And I agree with what you are saying. Now it's just a matter to convince the programmers that I will hire to see it the same way. I suppose many programmers will want to work with an OS platform that offers all the goodies already as opposed to building them from scratch... for example camera integration and so forth...

thanks for your insight!
r

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The small Kernel I have now uses a simple 6$ PIC with an 8$ Color LCD and and 5$ 8Meg flash (at non volume quantities!). It obviously can't do everything Android or what win mobile can do but by the same token there will be updates and improvements, but atleast you know that it would be yours to keep.
Drop the PIC and go with an ARM. Get the raspberry pi, if you can get your hands on one.

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
>Drop the PIC and go with an ARM. Get the raspberry pi, if you can get your hands on one.

Okay, I have breifed through the Rpi... and it seems impressive and cheap. But one thing though, will they give out the
BOM and the schematics?

I think not!
r

Last edited: