Which MCU is better for signal processing

satcom

Joined Apr 1, 2015
Which MCU is better for signal processing, MSP430F2012 or dsPIC30F6012? (a particular application uses four Digital filters and 4 channels PWM output to drive LEDs). Which of them provide more fast processing?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Did you compare the parameters, or did you just pick two random devices out of your a.. nose an chucked them here? What are the parameters of the input singnals? How fast do you need to react?

The msp has only 128 bytes of ram and runs at 16MIPS, while the dspic has 8K of ram and runs at 30MIPS. Guess which one is better?
Also note that 128B of ram will likely be nowhere near enough to run any kind of filtering.

satcom

Joined Apr 1, 2015
Did you compare the parameters, or did you just pick two random devices out of your a.. nose an chucked them here? What are the parameters of the input singnals? How fast do you need to react?

The msp has only 128 bytes of ram and runs at 16MIPS, while the dspic has 8K of ram and runs at 30MIPS. Guess which one is better?
Also note that 128B of ram will likely be nowhere near enough to run any kind of filtering.
Yes, I made a mistake and I messed up something.. It's just seemed to me both are about equivalent processors.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Plain C without a problem, but hardware specific parts will be tough. It might be easier to start over instead of trying to port.