• Energy Micro EFM32

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

schneiderham

Joined Jul 15, 2012
Hi,
I hope to stimulate some lively conversation about which MCU is truly the lowest power MCU.
I have been developing applications with various MCUs from TI, Microchip, Atmel and others for more than 10 years. In that time there have been many claims by these companies that they offer the industries lowest power MCU. Now we all know that you can't simply compare datasheet specs to determine a clear winer nor can you simply trust the manufactures' claims because they slant their testing.
I have been telling my boss for years that the MSP430 is the lowest power MCU and I see that all the other companies seem to claim theirs is lower than the MSP430 which only goes to reinforce that the MSP430 probably is the lowest otherwise they would attack others too. However, I wonder how long before others do actually overtake the MSP430; The 430 has been around for more than 10 years now.
So, I would like to hear from others what they think is the lowest power MCU, if you really care or not, if you have done some benchmarking or some other experiences.

Note that this is a redundant post that I also made on hackaday here:
http://forums.hackaday.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2328

schneiderham

Joined Jul 15, 2012
I dont work for a silicon manufacturer or a sales representative. I really don't care which is the lowest power MCU I just want to know which one it is. I have been defaulting to the same low power MCU for years and mant to ensure that I am still on the correct path.