Which magnifying visor do you recommend?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Merlysys, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Merlysys

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    I searched the posts but not much info.
    I need a magnifying visor for general electronics work like soldering on PCBs.
    I am nearly 50 so eyesight not perfect.
    The lighted type would be best. Ebay stuff OK but most of them are for jewellery work so I am not sure if their magnification is also OK for our type of work.

2. nigelwright7557

May 10, 2008
    I just use a pair of magnifying glasses.
    I just tip them over my head when I want to see normally.

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I use one of these. Very cheap and crappy, but still very helpful. I also use a large handheld magnifying glass with a bright work light when I'm trying to, for instance, examine a PCB or read a part number.

[​IMG]

4. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Merlysys likes this.
  5. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    Welcome to AAC.

+1

I've used several types. Below are simply my experiences, others may have different luck.

• Over-the-head lighted - heavy once you add the batteries, the light is directional, so if it isn't perfectly directed, it's less than helpful, and they are made with a hood of sorts, so they block light from above.
    • Magnifying glass - on helping hands or an adjustable fluorescent light - you have to adjust the lens so you are looking directly through the center head on - if you tilt your head a smidge to side or back they are also less than helpful.
    • Non-lighted over-the-head - these, in my opinion are simply the best. You move your head, not a magnifying glass and not your work to adjust. The open design allows you to use light from the room, I've found working with fluorescent over head lights is best. I wear glasses to correct for 80/20 vision and these are simply excellent. You can also find them locally in the U.S. at certain craft stores.
    • Only thing better is stereo microscope, but they aren't cheap and take up a lot of room.

Merlysys likes this.
  6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I use one similar to this, cost $10.

[​IMG]

Edit: Others have already recommended this. I keep one at every place I hang out, home and work, so I don't have to carry one around.

inwo likes this.
  7. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Hey, that's a picture of me! :D

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Are you serious?

9. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    No, but close!:D

10. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Get one with glass lenses, not plastic. They resist scratching much better and can be cleaned with alcohol, which may damage plastic ones.

11. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012