Which language to start with

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Angello90, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Angello90

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Hi guys,

I'm just staring with pic, and I am wondering which language to pick as the first one, Basic, Assembly or C? I already know C, but I'm not sure if this is a good starting language.

Cheers

2. Tahmid

Jul 2, 2008
    Hi,
    I use both PIC and AVR and I know BASIC and C (better at BASIC). I found (my opinion) that I like the BASIC structure and programming very good and efficient and so I use mikroBASIC. I recommend you take a look at it as it also has a free version.
    But since you already know C, you should be looking to improve on that, I think. So check out mikroC or CCS or Hi-Tech, whichever you prefer (my choice is mikroC).
    The mikroC and mikroBASIC compilers have very good prebuilt library functions, which are a great help.
    Take a look at:
    www.mikroe.com

Hope this helps.
    Tahmid.

3. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    Each make of compiler has it's own none-standard extensions to handle the built in peripherals. It's as much picking a compiler you get on with as what language you use - two different C compilers may work in completely different ways.

Personally, I use part assembly and part C, using the CCS compiler as that seems to have very good peripheral support and libraries.