Which IC's directly affect ping?

AJMetal87

Joined Mar 15, 2013
I have some networking equipment with Ping's all over the place. I have it directly connected to the computer I am pinging it from.

Is there a particular IC that regulates ping or is it a series? I have a BGA rework station, so If its narrowed down to typically being a BGA related issue, I can always reflow/reball, but I wanted to get a little insight before I dive blindly into the rework.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Ping is a piece of software that uses ICMP Echo requests and records the time taken for a response. I would doubt that it is implemented in hardware, check the software config of the device.

Zerotolerance

Joined Sep 18, 2011
Using "ping" is not exactly an accurate analysis method. You need to use Netperf or IPerf to get more accurate measurements.

"The latency is the delay between the process instruction commanding the transition and the hardware actually transitioning the voltage from high to low or low to high." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latency_%28engineering%29

Not to sure where or why a rework station was mentioned in this post. Maybe I am misunderstanding the OP?

AJMetal87

Joined Mar 15, 2013
Not to sure where or why a rework station was mentioned in this post. Maybe I am misunderstanding the OP?
I was under the impression that an undesirable ping could be hardware related. I mentioned that if it was, and related to a BGA, I could most likely reflow any fractured solder joints if that was a possibility to resolve the problem, but Sirch2 had answered that question.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
It COULD be a bad solder joint, but that is very unlikely. Try freeze spraying or heating the suspect IC, or using some pressure to check if the situation changes. Nonehteless things like that usually either work or not, a bad ping because of a bad joint is not very likely.

I think that your problems will lie somwhere else, could be a broken cable or overloaded cpu.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The literal answer to your question is:

The processor, the Ethernet controller, the MAC, and the transceiver. Trying to resolder everything has a very low probability of success.

AJMetal87

Joined Mar 15, 2013
Thank you both Kubeek and Papabravo for providing me with a little more insight on potential IC's that 'could' be related to the ping spikes.

I think that your problems will lie somwhere else, could be a broken cable or overloaded cpu.
Would a master reset assist in ruling out the overloaded CPU variable?

I am going to take a closer look at the internal cables connecting the pcbs inside the unit.