Which forum should circuit simulation discussions go in?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I think those are two very different subjects. Design will have a lot to do with the mechanics (e.g., trace widths) or the software used. Simulation deals with how it works irrespective of the design.

I don't have a problem with having new sub-forums, but I do think they should not be an electronic stew. That is what chat is for.

John

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Some PCB layout programs also do circuit simulation and vice versa so there is some connection between the two.
And layout is often about more than just the mechanics of the layout. Trace lengths and parasitic capacitances and inductances can affect the operation of many circuits, which in turn, can affect the simulation parameters.

I don't understand what you mean by "Simulation deals with how it works irrespective of the design." :confused:
What design?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What design?
The design of the physical layout?

Personally, I like the idea of a Simulation forum. I meet a lot of Chat Threads that look like design problems and they are really simulation problems.
"Help. My simulation shows something is wrong with the circuit."
No, it shows something is wrong with the simulation.
I can figure out a schematic. I don't know squat about simulating one with a computer.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I can see the value in having a forum dedicated to discussing PCB layout, a place for threads about PCB CAD software, sources, and usage and about board layout practices. Board layout is an activity that is usually (but not always, see #5 above) distinct from circuit design and has its own set of issues. Giving it its own forum might not be a bad idea.

If we create a forum for circuit simulation it would be best to restrict it to general discussion of simulation software and its usage, but NOT as a mandatory repository for all threads in which someone posts an LTSpice (for example) circuit diagram and plot to illustrate some question (or solution) he has regarding a circuit he is working on. The latter posts, in my opinion, still belong in whichever of the existing forums they would normally go in absent any reference to simulation.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I can see the value in having a forum dedicated to discussing PCB layout, a place for threads about PCB CAD software, sources, and usage and about board layout practices. Board layout is an activity that is usually (but not always, see #5 above) distinct from circuit design and has its own set of issues. Giving it its own forum might not be a bad idea.

If we create a forum for circuit simulation it would be best to restrict it to general discussion of simulation software and its usage, but NOT as a mandatory repository for all threads in which someone posts an LTSpice (for example) circuit diagram and plot to illustrate some question (or solution) he has regarding a circuit he is working on. The latter posts, in my opinion, still belong in whichever of the existing forums they would normally go in absent any reference to simulation.
(Emphasis added) OBW's comment fixes one of my concerns - that any given thread can include topics on several of the current forum topics. That said, I think a separate category would be helpful to address general how-to questions of simulation, emulation etc. as well as specific information pertaining to learning LT-Spice, TINA, Proteus et. al. It could become a valuable resource.

Makes sense to me.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I'm no Mod - but - At first I appreciated the additional forums but I think it's getting a little carried away... There are currently 22(!!!) forums... and I'm starting to get lost in how many clicks I need to perform to read what interests me. It's getting hard to get where I want to go and make sure I see all of the new posts without seeing 1M posts about people's homework (which I don't care for). I rarely get beyond checking 3 forums before I get bored clicking back and fourth. For instance I like seeing other people's projects, but I have a hard time remembering that there is another forum for projects. Right now I click Analog, Power, and General and rarely get further than that.

Simple is always better in my mind. I'd arrange them something like this:
Analog
Automotive
Digital & Embedded
Power
RF
Other Electronics - Basically for anything that does pertain to electronics but not to the above forums.
Projects
Completed Projects
Homework & Education
Off-Topic & Forum Suggestions

I'd personally say that PCB Layout and Simulation should go in the section that the circuit is simulating (i.e. rf, analog, digital, etc) rather than adding another two forums.

I'd also get more vigalent about moving topics that obviously don't go in certain forums. Right now there is a senior design project in general that should be moved to homework (or possibly projects).

Last edited:

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I just realized i cam essentially ignore forums by 'watching' forums i am interested in. I'll probably miss some topics I'm interested in but will probably hit 80% or so.

My suggestions still stand because new people coming in will probably still be overwhelmed by the number of choices

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
It's getting hard to get where I want to go and make sure I see all of the new posts without seeing 1M posts about people's homework (which I don't care for).
It seems like most requests for assistance with schoolwork are being posted anywhere BUT the "Homework Help" forum these days. Some eventually get moved to that forum by the moderators, but not all. I'm not interested in giving homework help, so the presence of these posts in other forums is more than a bit annoying. To me, anyway...

It seems like most requests for assistance with schoolwork are being posted anywhere BUT the "Homework Help" forum these days. Some eventually get moved to that forum by the moderators, but not all. I'm not interested in giving homework help, so the presence of these posts in other forums is more than a bit annoying. To me, anyway...
Agreed! -- Unfortunately it has been my observation (well... suspicion) that many said 'misplacements' are little more than machinations of members with the aim of 'outsourcing' their assignments - sans the least interest in study or comprehension:rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes, I'm well aware of that, thank you. I use it frequently.
It works for me, consistently. I think I've made about 2 calls to move a Thread in all my time here that didn't go as I expected.
With a process in place that seems to work almost all the time, I can't find room to complain.